Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   visitinMunich end ofOctober (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visitinmunich-end-ofoctober-134820/)

rosie Jul 1st, 2001 04:48 PM

visitinMunich end ofOctober

we will be in Munich/Omerammergau for a wedding the last week of October . We want to do some travelling before the event around the 20th and then afterwards as well coming home the 2 of November. Any experience with this time frame would be welcomed. Are the hotels generally cheaper then, are things closed on Nov.1. We would like to go to Salzburg maybe into Italy all by train or car. Many thanks

Art Jul 2nd, 2001 11:24 AM

Hi Rosie, you will be past peak season so the hotel rates should have come down some. You could hit some cold weather during that time and "could" even see som snow. If you have time, visit the salt mines near Berchesgarten and Salzburg.<BR>It is a beautiful area. <BR>Regards,<BR>Art<BR>

carol Jul 6th, 2001 08:08 AM

I had just a couple of days in Munich near the end of September, 2000. I took a day tour of the city, schloss, olympic park, etc that was very nice; also did a lot of walking in the city center. There are a number of tour companies with lots of options. The bus wasn't really my thing, but the tour was well orchestrated, done in English/German and covered a lot of the high points. Going back, I'd definitely do a longer (1-2 days) in the castles go out to dachau as well.

rosie Jul 7th, 2001 05:11 PM

thanks for the replys. I was wondering if the city bus tours were still being offered at the end of October or is it better to see the city by foot. Is there frequent train service to and from Omerammergau if we choose to make it our base and come into the city to tour. Also we would like to see some of the Italian alps ..which is better train or car? <BR>great site.. many thanks <BR>Rosie

John Jul 8th, 2001 04:47 AM

Hi Rosie: <BR> <BR>Wedding in Qberamergau sounds lovely! You will be very close to Garmish and that would make a great spot to explore around. Italy alps might be a bit too far away, you can get to the Austrian Alps (Lech, Zurs, St. Anton) a bit easier. Be prepared for snow at any times if traveling by car. Trains are very efficient and go where "no car should attempt". That being said, I have spent time in November in the Alps when the weather was sunny and snow feee! <BR>JOHN

xxx Jul 9th, 2001 04:47 AM

We visited the same area at the beginning of November, 1999. We had mainly beautiful weather in the 50's and 60's with only a few days of rain/clouds. But from what I have read, we may have been blessed with exceptional weather for that time of year. Take advantage of a clear day to go to the top of the Zugspitze. If I recall, the bus tour schedule did change (reduction in hours) on Nov. 1. We used Panorama bus tours in/around Munich and were happy with them. We also used some less expensive companies in the same area and found "you got what you paid for" in terms of quality and service. Also, be aware that Nov. 1, All Saints' Day, is a legal holiday in Bavaria. Attractions/sites may be closed on that day and tours not running. When we discovered that, we used our train pass to go to Salzburg. We drove from Munich to Garmish and then back to Frankfurt. We did not venture driving deeper into the mountains.