Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visiting Versailles - Museum Pass or Forfait Loisirs?

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks-

My head is spinning with all the different ticket options for Versailles. Hope you can help...

Here's the situation:
We're planning to spend an afternoon in Paris (visitng Louvre and Musee de l'Orangerie) and then the next day visitng Versailles.

Option #1 is buying the 2-day Paris Museum Pass for €30. I can't really tell which part of Versailles is covered by the Pass. I assume the Trianons and Marie-Antoinette’s Estate; and audioguides not included?
http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/mu...hp?musee_id=64

Option #2 is buying tickets separately for Louvre (€9) and Orangerie (€6,50); then the Forfait Loisirs ticket for Versailles (€21,45).
http://www.transilien.com/web/site/a...ailles/lang/en

Does the Forfait Loisirs include adioguide?

At first glance, Option #1 seems like a better deal, but Option #2 includes more sections of Versailles plus the RER ticket.

Where can I buy Forfait Loisirs? On the website it says they are "available at Transilien ticket offices at SNCF stations in Paris and zones 2 to 6." Where exactly are the SNCF stations in Paris?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:02 AM

The Museum Pass is marginally less expensive for your first day, but

the Versailles Leisure Package includes far more than it costs - including audioguides.

You can buy the Forfait at any Gare (Montparnasse, Lyon, etc.) or at any station on the RER C line that serves Versailles.

But do buy Orangerie tickets before you get there - the lines are unbelievable.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:43 AM

That's true about the lines...

http://www.fnacspectacles.com/recher...earchButton=OK
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM

The transilien link seems to be down for the moment. Does the "leisure pass" webpage spell out exactly which parts of Versailles is included in the price?

Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM
yk
Original Poster

The link is now working. It states:

The Forfait Loisirs Château de Versailles is a reduced-price pass that offers:
- one return rail ticket (+ metro from Paris),
- one coupon for admission to the Château via the Pavillon Gabriel, with access to:
• the King’s and Queen’s State Apartments,
• the Dauphin’s Apartments, the heir to the throne,
• the Chapel and Louis XIV Galleries,
• The History of France Galleries,
• Marie-Antoinette's Estate - Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon,
• at weekends and french public holidays, the Mesdames’ Apartments, the Grandes Eaux Musicales show and the Coach museum.

There's no mention of audioguide. Can anyone verify?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Yes, the versailles day pass includes the audioguide.

I bought the pass for my wife and myself at the St. Micheal RER station about 4 days ago! Just go to the ticket counter and ask for 2 Versailles all day passes with rail tickets.

I consider this a wash. We had museum passes but I bought the all day pass anyway just to bypass the lines at the palace.

After you stand in line for an audioguide(6), (which was the longest line there w/only 1 window open) buy a ticket to Marie-Antoinette domain(9) , and pay for your train ticket(6ish), you've basically already bought the pass anyway.

BTW- My favorite part of the place by FAR was the Marie-Antoinette domaine. I didn't think the audioguide for the palace was that great but I preferred it to standing around and reading my rick steves guidebook in each room.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
yk
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's replies. Looks like it's pretty much a wash. We'll probably go with Option #2. The trip is not until mid-October, so hopefully the lines to Orangerie won't be too bad by then - or we can always buy tickets in advance.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:19 AM

And thanks too for posting the info about the forfait loisirs. Very helpful.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM
yk
Original Poster

I have one more question about Forfait Loisirs, hoping Robes will read this:

On the Forfait Loisirs link I posted, it mentions the pass includes

one return rail ticket (+ metro from Paris)

Is the rail ticket valid for either RER or SNCF trains? I'm now thinking of staying near Montparnasse, and it seems much easier to take the SNCF train from Montparnasse to Versailles instead of the usual RER C train.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Both. (Actually, SNCF operates that part of RER C anyway.) The ticket will get you from Paris to Versailles regardless of which choo-choo you choose.

The walk from Versailles-Rive Gauche RER station to the château is the shortest by half.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
balletgirl

I was going to buy a museum pass b/c I was going to use it for Versailles, as well as the Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame and St. Chapelle. When I totaled the amount it came to the same price as if I was going to each place separately but it seemed a good deal to avoid waiting in lines (specifically to Versailles and the Louvre). Should I also get the Forfait Loisirs ticket as well since I was planning on renting an audio guide? We were hoping to tour the Castle first and then get out in time to see the fountains - we are going on a Sunday. Just wondering what would be best b/c time is more important on this trip?

Also, it looks like RER line C runs from St.Michel (Notre Dame) directly to Versaille, RG but when I went on the various

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
balletgirl

Oops! Hit post reply before I meant to... here is the rest of the question.

Also, it looks like RER line C runs from St.Michel (Notre Dame) directly to Versaille, RG but when I went on the Transilien site to check schedules, it had me making many transfers! Can anyone confirm that I can take the RER line C from St. Michel to Versailles, RG? How do I find out when the train leaver?

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Yes, RER C runs directly to Versailles Rive Gauche - but not every train takes that "branch" - so look sharp and pay attention to the overhead displays telling where the next train terminates.

Trains run every 15 minutes, so schedules really aren't necessary.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM

balletgirl,

While the Paris Museum Pass gives access to Versailles, these things are EXCLUDED: shows, musical water shows, audio guides, conferences, restaurants and transport services.

A Forfait Loisirs for Versailles includes the musical water shows, but you'll still have to rent an audio guide.

The RER C line divides on the west side of Paris just beyond the Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel station. Line C5 goes to Versailles-Rive Gauche. Take a train whose nameplate shows VICK.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
balletgirl

Thanks for clearing up the info on the RER and the Forfait Loisirs.I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM

We are planning a mid-September Sunday trip from Paris to Versailles. Is it possible to see the highlights of Versailles and also see Chartres the same day?

Or to do justice to each site, are we better advised to devote a day to each one?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:51 PM

yk,

We decided to also forgo the museum pass, in part since it was so expensive, and we didn't want to feel as if we had to rush our museum days.

We ended up going to the D'Orsay and Lourve at around 3-4pm, and we never encountered lines...and this was around the ending of May.

Based on other's suggestions, we decided to get the Forfait Loisirs and it worked out great! We got ours at the RER Saint Michel, entering the entrance that is closest to Norte Dame - the booth is right there when you enter, and we felt it was a great deal!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:00 PM

hikerboy,

Yes, it's possible to visit both Versailles and Chartres in one day, but only you know whether or not you'll feel "cheated" in doing so. It depends upon whether you're the kind of person who likes to linger or who prefers to see only the highlights.

You can take a train from Versailles-Chantiers to Chartres in just under an hour. You could eat a picnic lunch on the train to make good use of your travel time.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Could anybody please tell me what the Forfait Loisirs costs?

Thanks a lot - for all the info I got here. I already put it in my file for my visit end of November. I know it is not the best time to visit Versailles, but still want to go. Hopefully one day we will be able to enjoy the gardens!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:09 AM

TimS, thanks for the advice on Versailles/Chartres. We will try to do the one-day combo, but we will hold the option of going to Chartres on another day if we find we can't tear ourselves away from Versailles by early afternoon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -