Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Visiting the Paris sewers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visiting-the-paris-sewers-995722/)

kerouac Oct 21st, 2013 10:35 PM

Visiting the Paris sewers

People often wonder whether or not this is an interesting (or even bearable) visit when they start looking for "different" things to do in Paris.

Well, I went there yesterday (on a sudden whim as I happened to be right there next to the entrance) for the first time since 1971. It is certainly different and quite educational, but it is definitely not for everybody.

So here is the little report that I made which will exempt most of you from ever having to go but which might inspire the engineers and architects among you to take a closer look at it all: http://tinyurl.com/okcseke

cafegoddess Oct 21st, 2013 11:33 PM

Thanks Kerouac, for the virtual tour, kind of gross but interesting.

Cathinjoetown Oct 22nd, 2013 12:20 AM

I have never had any desire to do this tour or the catacombs and still don't, but enjoyed your photos while sitting with my morning coffee!

Thanks again for expanding my knowledge of Paris. The scouring balls reminded me of the scene in the first Indian Jones film, would not want to try to out run one.

bilboburgler Oct 22nd, 2013 12:56 AM

phew

adrienne Oct 22nd, 2013 01:57 AM

The sewers was one of the top things I wanted to do during my first Paris trip in the early 1980s. It was only mildly interesting then - there was a guide speaking French and audios for other languages. There were few, if any, displays. I returned in 2001 and the sewers had been completely updated, reflecting what's in these photos. I think some new things have been added since I last visited.

bardo1 Oct 22nd, 2013 03:58 AM

Very nice (from the comfort of my living room with wine, snack, and a music soundtrack...)

Southam Oct 22nd, 2013 06:29 AM

A chacun son egout.
I visited the drains years ago, before the place had been tarted up a la touriste. Workers served as sort of volunteer guides, for tips in return, presumably not a perk during their regular duties.
On the other hand, predating Les Miserables (The Glums), I was spared having tunes from the musical running through my mind.

PalenQ Oct 22nd, 2013 07:12 AM

another great photo report - brings back my visits to the Egouts years ago with my young son - seems to not have changed that much.

Thanks again for another great photo shoot.

cynthia_booker Oct 22nd, 2013 08:15 AM

A few years ago, there was a civil action, closing most of the attractions on the Museum Pass, but the sewer museum was not affected, so I spent an interesting time learning how a modern city manages.
Without the sewer system, no large city could exist with any semblance of a decent modern life. Filth and disease would be everywhere! We should be very grateful to those who keep the system functioning.

kerouac Oct 22nd, 2013 09:06 AM

I had already learned most of the stuff in earlier years, but I realize that many people never think about the importance of such things, so I really think it is a great visit to make especially if you are traveling with anyone who thinks that everything happens automatically, if not by magic (for example, people with teenage offspring). I would also be happy to go there with anyone who thinks that nobody should ever go on strike for better working conditions -- it would be a good base for a debate on the subject.

MaineGG Oct 22nd, 2013 09:11 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for doing this tour for us so that we have the visuals without the odors. :)

Bellarosa70032 Oct 22nd, 2013 06:55 PM

I second MaineGG's sentiments. I've always wondered about the sewer tour, and now you've satisfied my curiosity without the smells. I do like the rat memorabilia, but not enough to go down there. ;)

Pepper_von_snoot Oct 22nd, 2013 07:04 PM

The World of Poop is not to be sniffed at!

Is there a Starbucks down there?

A Monoprix?

Thin

christopher91354 Oct 23rd, 2013 08:41 AM

Interesting.

Seamus Oct 23rd, 2013 11:27 AM

Thanks, kerouac, for another vicarious visit. The exhibit is, IMO, pretty well done. It takes a reasoned, rather utilitarian approach and avoids the obvious potty humor in telling a great public health story. Also share your appreciation for the efforts of the sewer workers. Perfect illustration of "it's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it."

Ah you delicate flowers - the smell is not really that bad. Dank but no worse than an old basement in the Spring thaw. It was not that long ago that the sewers of Paris were <i>the</i> venue for fashion shows and too-chic-for-words parties.

annhig Oct 23rd, 2013 11:56 AM

thank you very much for doing my tourism for me, kerouac.

now I'll never have to venture into those dark dank tunnels.

flpab Oct 23rd, 2013 12:48 PM

Thank you, always interesting reports from you.

opaldog Oct 23rd, 2013 01:37 PM

Well, I must say that being the owner of a home with a septic system that needs to be pumped every so often, I do know that odor. Thanks for the photos so that now I will never really need to tour the sewers.

annhig Oct 24th, 2013 07:28 AM

Well, I must say that being the owner of a home with a septic system that needs to be pumped every so often, I do know that odor.>>

me too, opaldog. oh the joys of country living.

PalenQ Oct 24th, 2013 11:47 AM

sewers they used to say were closed in times of rain - wonder why after seeing kerouac's superb photos.