Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visiting the Midi-Pyrenees in Early March 2015

Old Feb 8th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me & My GF are visiting northern spain and midi-pyrenees in early March. We want to drive from San Sebastian to Bordeaux, to Cahors (3 nights). On the way back from Cahors, France We would like to drive through the pyrenees between 10-12 March and get to Barcelona by 13th March. Pic Du Midi, Cauterets, St. Bertrand De Comminges, Bagnères-de-Luchon, Gargas caves, Niaux and Abbey of St Martin of Canigou were some of the places i was interested in visiting driving from Cahors to Barcelona. We would like to stay a night somewhere in the pyrenees and Luchon seemed like a perfect place. However, our concern is the weather and specifically snow. We don't want to drive around in the snow and would like to visit places and cross over into spain but avoid roads with snow. I am a mountain person and coming so close the pyrenees and not driving through the mountains and experiencing mountain panoramas will be heartbreaking!

We need help to find a route that shows us the pyrenees but also avoids major snow and slippery roads. We are not interested in the shortest route and want to do as many of above sites driving around as possible although they were widely dispersed. We also need suggestions to find a good town to stay a night before we move on to barcelona. Excitedly looking forward to your suggestions!
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 03:52 AM

There is absolutely no guarantee that you won't find snow in the Pyrenees especially in early March. There has been a lot of snow this winter and serious risks of avalanches. Right now chains are compulsory above 1200 meters. Of course it may change until March.
The only roads which will be snow free are 1. the highway through Le Perthus and 2. the coast road from Perpignan to Cerbère and Portbou. From Perpignan you can drive to Prades and St Martin du Canigou without problem.
You could also drive from Niaux to Ax-les Thermes and take the Puymorens tunnel to Bourg-Madame, then Mont-Louis, Villefranche and St Martin du Canigou but I doubt the roads around Ax and Puymorens will be clear of snow.
Before going, I suggest you check this government agency : http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 05:39 AM

The Pic du Midi is open via gondola all year barring high winds. Obviously, not great value except on a sunny day. http://www.picdumidi.com/horaires-tarifs/

From St. Gaudens, the Val d'Aran roads are almost always clear to St. Bertrand de Comminges and Luchon, which is a pretty little town. Steep, short drive from the valley floor up to St. Bertrand but it is kept open unless you're in the middle of a storm.

From Luchon, the mountain pass to Spain and the road up to Bagnères may both be closed although you may be able to get up to Bagnères with chains. As Pvoy. wrote, we've had lots of snow and the past week has been very cold.

From the center of Luchon, just off the main street, you can take closed gondolas up to Bagnères.

We have driven the road down through Lleida to Taragona in March, hitting the Med just below Barcelona, about 4 hours from St. Gaudens. Weather could go either way, but it's a main road.

The views of the Pyrénées from the autoroute are actually gorgeous.