Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Visiting the Blue Lagoon Without Getting in the Water
Notices

Visiting the Blue Lagoon Without Getting in the Water

May 20th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Visiting the Blue Lagoon Without Getting in the Water

My family (which includes 6 and 3 year old daughters) will be spending three days in the Reykjavik area starting in a little over a week.

The day we arrive (7 AM arrival) I was thinking of spending part of the day recovering from our flight and part of the day at the Blue Lagoon. My wife has already stated that she has no intention of getting in the water. This being the case, should we just skip the Blue Lagoon altogether, or will there be enough other reason for us to still go?

If we do skip the Blue Lagoon, what other areas of interest could we see in the Keflavik area?

We plan to spend the second day driving the Golden Circle and the third day in Reykjavik visiting the National Museum, the Saga Museum and wandering a bit of the city.

We fly out to continue our journey to Germany early on the fourth day.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions you have!
May 21st, 2012, 12:00 AM

Personally, I have only been there once with the sole purpose of experiencing the water but would say what's the point in travelling to the Blue Lagoon if you aren't going to experience the warm waters and mud on your skin?
May 21st, 2012, 08:14 AM

I'm going to agree and disagree with cheapboxofwine all at the same time (contrary? moi?).

I've been a few times to the Blue Lagoon and can't imagine going unless you were planning to get in the water, but this said, there is a spa and restaurant on the same site so your wife could have a couple of treatments whilst the rest of the family enjoys the waters.

I know people say it's an overrated, man-made example of what can be found naturally elsewhere in Iceland, but these people are sour. I've loved each of trips my there (including once when the weather was so bad, there were waves breaking over my head and another as part of the closing party for the Iceland airwaves festival, complete with DJ) and each time was truly memorable.

I'd say if the rest of the family really wants to go, go and let mother recuperate from the flight in style.
May 21st, 2012, 08:27 AM

well there is a restuarant, however does your wife understand that much of Icelandic culture is the "getting into hot water" bit. Still I understand as I avoided the "shark in urine" element when I went.

Search this Thread