Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visiting Scotland in Early April (Highlands Versus South)

Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be visiting Scotland the first week of April, and we're trying to figure out the best itinerary for our trip. We're interested in castles, ruins, whisky, lochs, charming villages, and coastlines, and from everything we've read so far Northeast Scotland and the Highlands look most appealing. However, I'm concerned that for the time of year we'll be visiting, we'll be better off visiting Southern Scotland. Does anyone know if there is a distinct difference in the hours of sunlight and weather between northern and southern Scotland for early April? If there's a notable difference, we'll re-route our itinerary accordingly. Otherwise, we'll focus on the north. Thanks!
Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM

Daylight is no issue in April. None at all. In fact in April there are more hours of daylight in Inverness than in New York City. (not sure why so many think the short days in winter carry on through spring)

And the weather could be anything - and probably will be.

So mainly decide based on what area(s) have more things you want to see/do.
Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:36 PM

Different daylight hours within Scotland is in the order of minutes. As stated, in April you have long daylight hours, with sunrise before 6 am and sunset after 8 pm.
Another thing to consider is it can still be cold in April, and snow and ice isn't unknown in the Highlands. So you need to have a fairly loose schedule depending on what sort o weather you'll encounter.
Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM

Definitely true - at that time of year you don't need to pre-book so I'd maybe go w/ a loose plan in mind and then travel where the weather takes you.

The weather could be worse in the north - or worse in the south - or fine everywhere.
Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM

Due to our higher latitude, than much of the US there is also a longer time lag between sunset and nightfall.

In early April you should get meaningful light until 9pm either in the north or south. Easter is early next year.The brats break up for two weeks starting the weekend your intend to visit. Bearing in mind our economy is as dead as a doormail many will not be venturing far next year.

Last year, this period had some of the best weather of the year, we had 75oF and I was swimmimg in the sea. Should this happen again it may well be worth booking in advance as you will struggle with rooms.
Dec 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - this is very helpful insight. When we visited Ireland a few years ago during July it was freezing and poured the entire time, so hopefully this trip will make up for it and Scotland will be warm and sunny. Just in case, I'll be sure to pick some cozy places to stay so we'll have fun hiding inside if the weather goes sour.

We're considering the following B&Bs:

Darroch Learg
Boathe House
Inchyra House
Ardanaiseig

Has anyone tried any of these or do you have alternative suggestions?

Thanks, Scotland experts.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:53 AM

Last year we were in Edinburgh in early April (first week) and wandered about the Botanical Garden admiring the flowers in our shirtsleeves.

Several years ago we were in Scotland in mid-April and the West Highlands were still covered with snow.

You can expect anything between these extremes.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:17 AM

In early April there isn't going to be much difference in daylight hours between New York and Northern Scotland - in fact less than an hour difference until the middle of April between sunrise and sunset. There may be a longer twilight but given the equinox was less than 2 weeks previously it isn't going to be significant.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM

I wish I had your budget. Boath House and Ardanaiseig are both on my wish list. The Darroch Learg is fine (but not in the same league as the first two). Inchyra House is the only one we'd call a B&B and I have to say, it's a very upmarket one.

It's only recently started this B&B venture. I'd be interested to know how you get on.
Dec 8th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for these helpful replies. We'll focus on the north of Scotland, and I'll be sure to update on Inchyra House, as Sheila requested. It looks beautiful in pictures, and so far the owners have been lovely over email.