Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Visiting Luxembourg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visiting-luxembourg-123260/)

Lana May 10th, 2001 12:21 PM

Visiting Luxembourg

We are planning a short trip to Belgium and the Netherlands and were wondering if it was worth going to Luxembourg. Anyone been there?

StCirq May 10th, 2001 12:41 PM

If it really is a short trip, I would stick to Belgium and the Netherlands. Luxembourg has its charms, but nothing really that would overshadow anything you'd visit in the other two countries. Unless you're a stamp collector.

Steve May 10th, 2001 02:48 PM

My wife & took a short trip to Belgium last November and spent two days in Luxembourg, just because we'd not been there. Had already been to Belgium and other countries a few times. Hiking is a big pastime in the Lux. countryside, and the semi-mountainous area about 1-2 hours north of the capital (also Luxembourg), has castles and dozens of well-marked trails. The capital itself is compact and has some spectacular scenery. But, is it all worth a long drive from Brussels? Depends on how much you want to see & do in Belgium and Netherlands, is it your first trip, etc. I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way.

BillJ May 10th, 2001 03:55 PM

We just returned from a trip that included the Ardennes and Northern Luxembourg. Would not have missed it. There are many wonderful chateaus and places to stay in the Belgian Ardennes, but I think summer time fills up with campers, hikers and vacationers. It is a very beautiful area, one that can be traversed in a short period of time, if you desire, but like me, you'll wish you had more time. La Roche en Ardenne was very appealing. In north Luxembourg, the castle at Vianden is regarded by many as the most beautiful in the region, and tours are available. <BR>We stayed at the wonderful hotel d'Oranianburg, in the charming little village of Vianden. We found it very worth while. You may wish to review my recent trip report, BillJ's Trip #4 of 5 - Ardennes Adventure. Feel free to email me with specific q's. Have a great trip.

Lori May 10th, 2001 07:02 PM

My husband is a big WWII buff, and a couple years ago we did the whole Ardennes, Luxembourg, Normandy route. Luxembourg was a wonderful little stopover. We stayed southwest of there in Belgium and day-tripped in. General George Patton is buried in the American cemetery there. There's also the Sandweiler German cemetery nearby. A very interesting contrast to the American cemetery. Luxembourg City was a great little city. We spent time climbing through the casemates, sitting in the squares, walking on the "cliff path, visiting the cathedral. Then north to Ettelbruck and Diekirch where there is a 9 ft. statue of General Patton and a Sherman tank and the Museum of the Battle of the Bulge. This museum had some of the more interesting artifacts including some of the snow "tanks" and carriers, and lots of military vehicles. Definitely worth a detour. <BR> <BR>Re: the comment above about the postage stamps--I think you're referring to Lichtenstein. Not much there except the postal museum and the royal family's castle.