Visiting Italy in october 2008

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Italy in october 2008

Okay..my partner and I are going to italy in october. Are we making a mistake going due to the poor value of our dollar? I hear a COKE costs like 10 bucks..should we postpone? has anyone been lately?? any advice? thanks so much
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:37 AM

Italy is never, and I repeat never, a mistake! ;-)

Can't say how much a coke is as we always drink wine... and we could get a half liter of house wine for under $10.

You can find many budget accommodations and restaurants on this forum. So I say go!
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM

We went last year in Oct/Nov for our honeymoon and had the BEST time! I think the price differences have been a little exaggerated. It's expensive but not unaffordable. You just have to make smart accommodation and dining choices.
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:21 AM

Yes, a Coke costs about $10, which is a good reason not to order soft drinks in Europe and drink water or wine instead.

Is it expensive? For Americans right now, yes. Is it a mistake? Absolutely not.

Yes, loads and loads of people have visited lately. Apart from the poor exchange rate between the dollar and the euro, Italy is still one of the, if not the, most popular European destinations.

Only you know what you can afford.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Clifbob,

Why on earth would you want to drink a Coke when you can drink great local Italian wines?? Besides their Coke tastes "funny". It has a slightly different flavor.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:33 AM

Yes it will be somewhat expensive, but you can dine in Italy at small inexpensive tratorias frequented by locals and have great food. As others have said, you can get a carafe of house red for well under $10, a Peroni Beer for about $4, or a large bottle of mineral water for about $5 - why drink Coke?
Go - so you spend a few extra hundred dollars - you won't regret it.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:52 AM

We were in Rome and Florence for a few weeks in November last year. That was right when the dollar hit the "all time low"...which has since fallen.

Honestly, it was worth every single penny. Yes, it was more expensive than when I went to Europe in 2000 but what isn't? We're actually heading back this year because we loved it so much. I think if you have the finances, you should do it! You can cut back on meals, tours, or your hotel. It's much cheaper to book an apartment, anyway!

And, as a complete and utter Diet Coke addict, I understand your need for a Coke. I drink a few a day (terrible, I know) but the Coke does taste different there and you are so busy having wine, water and coffee that you don't miss it!
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Hi clifbob

If you absolutely must have a Coke while traveling in Italy (and sometimes it just nice to have the familiar when away from home) buy it in the grocery stores. Chances are that you will be staying some place with a mini fridge and will be able to keep it cold. It will still be more expensive than what you pay in the U.S. but a lot cheaper than in the restaurants.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:08 AM

I forgot to mention that I am also traveling to Italy in October 2008. I created a spreadsheet to keep track on how my expenses change as the dollar decreased against the euro and I one point I did consider not going. But I have decided to definitely go. Plane ticket and hotels are booked and I am really excited about the trip. If you can afford the trip definitely go.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Surely you wouldn't base your trip on how much a coke will cost?! Just drink water if you find the cost excessive. You will never regret going once you see what all the "fuss" is about. It's a fabulously beautiful and rich country. Just get a map and some guidebooks and start making a list of places you have always wanted to see. Come back here with specific questions and we'll help pull it together.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM

I am also visiting Italy in October and wouldn't think twice. This is a vacation and should be enjoyed. Just like at home, you will make decisions about what is worth saving on and what is worth splurging on, but always calculate in that you may never have some of these opportunities again...
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where were you thinking of going in Italy?

One way to feel your dollar has more value is to spend most of your time outside the big cities and popular tourist destinations.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM

it was about 2 years ago when i went to italy, but the dollar-euro ratio wasn't much different than it is now. all i can say is... it's worth it x 10. and, like travelfan1 says, drink the wine - it's cheaper than water october is a good time to go, at least the flights are cheaper. i did a summer student travel and my plane ticket alone was over 1400 bucks... still worth all the time i spent saving though!! i recommend spending some time in perugia and gubbio (umbria) - amazing places.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM

October in Italy is a very nice time to visit. Expensive it is for Americans at least, but it’s worthwhile.
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Go and do not worry about the dollar. Although I can understand it can be a concern I believe that travel experiences far outweigh the financial cost. You cannot put a price on adventures in Italy. I believe you would regret NOT going.

Italy has thousands of water fountains - just fill up your bottle for free rather than buying Coke!