Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   visiting Domus Aurea in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visiting-domus-aurea-in-rome-145518/)

Jeff Jan 23rd, 2002 09:19 AM

visiting Domus Aurea in Rome

Has anyone visited the Domus Aurea (Nero's Golden Palace) in Rome recently? I understand that you need advance reservations. Is there a sit on the web where you can make them? <BR><BR>Thanks!

linda Jan 23rd, 2002 09:55 AM

Went in November. What a great place. We got there about 2 pm and was able to go in about 3:30. They have tours about every 20 minutes, some in English, Spanish etc. We didn't find out about this place until we were in Rome.

Howard Jan 23rd, 2002 10:01 AM

It depends when you're going. If off-season, probably not.

jj Jan 23rd, 2002 10:03 AM

We were there in Dec. We just walked up and made a reservation and got in about 30 min. later. Make sure you spring for the tape recorder to rent while you are in there or you will have no idea what you are looking at. Its right across the street from the Colleseum so you can walk around there if you need to wait. I don't know of a website.

Jeff Jan 23rd, 2002 10:10 AM

Thank you all for your replies - I'll be going during Semana Santa, so I imagine it could be crowded. I do want to visit the site, however.

dan woodlief Jan 23rd, 2002 10:21 AM

I went in October. I walked up and was able to get in within an hour or so. I had tried to make reservations by phone twice while in Rome, but it took so long to get through that my phone card ran out one time. I never could get anyone on the phone. I would think you should make reservations at least a day ahead for a busy time of year.

Eva Jan 23rd, 2002 10:57 AM

Try www.ticketclic.it or<BR> www.romeguide.it/domus_aureaeng/domus_aurea.htm

Walter Jan 23rd, 2002 11:02 AM

I booked thru this commercial site when they 1st opened www.romeguide.it/domus_aureaeng/domus_aurea.htm I remember that the e-mail click-on links didn't work properly and you had to type-in their e-mail address.<BR>I also did it last March by calling them in Rome for a reservation. Also an easy mistake I saw many do was: The booth has the ticket windows and the cassette windows side by side. When you pay for your reserved tickets also buy your cassette rental tickets there. If not when you get to the cassette rental window, it's to the back of the ticket line again with ya:). Behind the ticket booths are the bathrooms and when turning in the cassettes it can get alittle chaotic, I prefer to leave a picture ID rather than a CC or passport as security. Regards, Walter

Pat Apr 15th, 2002 05:00 AM

I have not been able to get through using Romeguide email. I tried calling the Domus Aurea directly but my phone card ran out while holding.<BR><BR>Any other suggestions for a reservation?<BR>thank you

elaine Apr 15th, 2002 05:34 AM

I have two email addresses for romeguide<BR>don't know if you've tried both<BR>[email protected]<BR>[email protected] it

Sherry Apr 15th, 2002 10:25 AM

Hi Jeff. I had difficulty getting them on the phone. After two calls to Italy, and the information that the number I dialed was incorrect, I gave up. I contacted out hotel, and they said they would be more than glad to make the reservations for us. I thought that a lot easier.

polly Apr 16th, 2002 11:56 AM

We were in Rome in Nov 2001. Our concierge at the hotel booked the reservation. It was a terrific tour. The other day tour group I'd recommend is Scala Reale (they have a website). They offer a number of 1/2 day and day trous guided by architects, scholars, et al. The tour of Colosseo, Foro Romano and Palatino gave us a good perspective on the rest of what we saw during our 11 days there.