Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   VIsiting D Day beaches from Dinan or Honfleur (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visiting-d-day-beaches-from-dinan-or-honfleur-1272689/)

Supermum Apr 10th, 2017 04:06 AM

VIsiting D Day beaches from Dinan or Honfleur

Hi everyone, I will be staying in Dinan for 3 nights and Honfleur for 3 nights. Just wondering how feasible it is to be visiting the D Day beaches from there....it appears the pick ups for tours are all from Bayeux and Caen... we have a car

StCirq Apr 10th, 2017 04:20 AM

If you have a car, I'm not sure why you need a pick-up tour. At any rate, I don't think you need 3 nights in Honfleur and 3 nights in Dinan. Why not spend 2 nights in Honfleur, 2 nights in Bayeux (and pick up a tour there if you like), and 2 nights in Dinan? Yes, it's a bit of moving around, but the distances are minimal.

Tulips Apr 10th, 2017 04:29 AM

We visited the D-day beaches from Honfleur; absolutely fine, and a lovely drive. You really don't need a tour.
Don't miss the museum in Caen - go there first, before visiting the other sites.

bilboburgler Apr 10th, 2017 04:46 AM

Makes far more sense seeing the beaches from Honfleur, though some where like St Mere Eglise might be good from either town.

There are many WW2 museums all over the place, I found the St Mere Eglise especially moving but the little one at the Pegasus Bridge is poignant.

Christina Apr 10th, 2017 09:03 AM

A lot of people enjoy tours, if they are well-planned with good guides. They can add a lot, especially for anyone who doesn't read up a lot and know the subject in advance. I really enjoyed the one I was on which left from Bayeux.

Although it wasn't clear the OP even wanted a tour, just presumed since they left from Bayeux, Honfleur would not be a convenient location for touring the beaches. You could just look at a map and see, though.

I think that's just the market, those kind of tours don't leave from Honfleur.

I don't see any reason you can't do that from Honfleur if you have a car, you can drive to Bayeux from Honfleur in only about 1.5 hrs, if you want to pick up a tour there. I'm not sure why you would think you couldn't drive that far.

mku4440 Apr 11th, 2017 01:02 PM

we stayed in Honfleur for D-Day 2014. As it was the 70th anniversary with heavy crowds, and the fact that we enjoy organized tours, we drove to Bayeux and took the afternoon Overlord tour. We arrived in Bayeux around 9-9:30, visited the Tapestry museum, wondered around town and the church, and ate lunch prior to the tour. It was a lovely, memorable day. Visiting the beaches has long been on my bucket list (my birthday happens to fall on D-Day) and it did not disappoint. We ate dinner in Bayeux before driving back to Honfleur. As previous poster stated it is a nice drive.

michelhuebeli Apr 12th, 2017 07:38 AM

We stayed not far from Dinan and decided to begin the D-Day tour in Sainte-Mère-Église where the unfortunate paratrooper got hung up on the church steeple. (Wait until you hear the full story... and know that the effigy that hangs there now is - on purpose - hanging on the wrong side).

We lucked out by booking with ddaybattletours.com - run by a guide who lives right there and who gave us a full-day tour that couldn't have been better. We simply drove there in the morning, parking was no problem, we met our guide and a very small number of fellow travelers, and had a great day seeing and being lectured about all the major locations and actions, being driven about in a comfortable vehicle. What an education!

HappyTrvlr Apr 12th, 2017 08:25 AM

Beaches are closer to the lovely town of Bayeux. We stayed a couple of nights in Honfleur and then moved to Bayeux to tour the WWII beaches, US, British and Canadian.