Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visiting Austria- suggestions favorite places to stay, go, eat

Notices

Old Jun 9th, 1997, 08:39 AM
Sandy Racz

We are going to Austria (Italy & Hungary) in July with our 14 year old son. We have been to Graz and spent 2 weeks there, so have seen that part of the country. We are going North from Rome thru the hill country of Italy to the Salzburg area and then on to Vienna. We will have about 5 days in Austria. Would appreciate any suggestions on hotels, pensions, etc. We will have a car. Thank you!

Old Jun 9th, 1997, 03:47 PM
David Pratt

We, as well, are going to the Salzburg area, but not until mid-September. We are going to go to Venice and southern Bavaria as well. We have been doing a fair amount of reading, and checking out some accommodations on the Internet, but have not yet decided on where to stay. Generally, from what I read, we will find that staying at accommodations outside the city will be cheaper, and in many instances, much more scenic. I would like to get suggestions on places to stay which have great scenery at their doorstep.

As for things to see, we are planning on doing the Sound of Music Tour, visiting one of the local salt mines (I understand this would be a good trip for kids), and visiting the Berchtesgaden area, just inside Germany, and only about 16 miles from Salzburg. The scenery is supposed to be spectacular. One book which we have found to be quite helpful is "Rick Steve's Germany, Austria and Switzerland 1997" travel guide.

I hope this information is of some help, and I hope that some other people will be able to provide both of us with some first-hand knowledge. Have a great trip, and if you have the time, E-mail us when you get back. We would like to hear about your experiences.

Old Jun 10th, 1997, 05:18 PM
Glenn Snider

Sandy,
David had some good suggestions. I am also a fan of
Rick Steves and his travel books. The book that David recommend is one that we used on our vacation
to the area a few years ago. The salt mines are a lot of fun no matter what the age. The tours are given in German but there is information to read in
english. You should also make a stop at Hellbrunn castle. The castle tour is all outside, so be sure you do it on a nice day. I don't remember which hotel we stayed in, but it was listed in Rick's book. I do remember that it was about a 20 minute walk from the center of town. We gave up location for the security of parking without a hassle. I would also recommend the tour of the fortress and the local churches in town. There is a daily market in the old town which is enjoyable. I would strongly recommend that you visit the Augustiner beer hall. It is a good end to an evening. They serve beer and meals. They also have vendors that serve various other choices of food. You can also bring you own food. There were many families with small children. It is just a big social spot for all people. I know that the Salzburg area does have a web site, which does have some info of use, not the best though. I hope you and David enjoy your trips. If I can help anymore,let me know. Glenn

Old Jun 10th, 1997, 05:18 PM
Glenn Snider

Sandy,
David had some good suggestions. I am also a fan of
Rick Steves and his travel books. The book that David recommend is one that we used on our vacation
to the area a few years ago. The salt mines are a lot of fun no matter what the age. The tours are given in German but there is information to read in
english. You should also make a stop at Hellbrunn castle. The castle tour is all outside, so be sure you do it on a nice day. I don't remember which hotel we stayed in, but it was listed in Rick's book. I do remember that it was about a 20 minute walk from the center of town. We gave up location for the security of parking without a hassle. I would also recommend the tour of the fortress and the local churches in town. There is a daily market in the old town which is enjoyable. I would strongly recommend that you visit the Augustiner beer hall. It is a good end to an evening. They serve beer and meals. They also have vendors that serve various other choices of food. You can also bring you own food. There were many families with small children. It is just a big social spot for all people. I know that the Salzburg area does have a web site, which does have some info of use, not the best though. I hope you and David enjoy your trips. If I can help anymore,let me know. Glenn

Old Jun 11th, 1997, 07:29 PM
Cathy Buck

Hi there,

I just spent 8 days in Austria/Bavaria Country. I stayed in a quaint hotel in St. Johann in the Tirol region. Toured the countryside each day. The Krimml Waterfall is a beautiful place to visit. You can go right up to the falls and feel the water in the air. There is a nice resturant where you can sit outside and see the falls. If your going to Innsbruck stop on your way and see crystal world at the Swarovski plant. You can also get good prices on crystal here. It's really a cool and different place. If your in Berchesgarten take the Achenseebahn train ride, takes you up a mountain, if you go take some candy for the children who stand along the train's path. Kids would like a gondola ride up the mountain, I went on one in oberau, but they have them everywhere. The views are spectacular! Salzburg was my fave city. They have a great outdoor market where you can grab some food and eat outdoors. The cemetaries are beautiful be sure to see them.
There are beautiful gardens and a park in the middle of town, nice place to realx. Lots of outdoor cafes, shops, dessert shops which are great. Watch out coffee & tea are expensive. And, no refills like in the US.
St. Johann is a nice base and everything is within 1-2 hour drive through beautiful scenery.
Hope this helps.
Have fun - I sure did.

Old Jun 13th, 1997, 09:48 PM
dan

Where do you book the salt mine tour and where is the Augustine beer hall?

Old Jun 14th, 1997, 07:02 PM
Glenn Snider

Dan, The saltmine is located in the town of Hallein, about 8 miles from Salzburg. (ON E-14) Just show up and get tickets and get in line. We went on a rainy day and had to wait a very long time for our tour.
The Augustiner is located on the old town side of the river. It is below the town along the river. If you walk down stream (I believe) about 7-10 minutes you will arrive. Just walk upto street level from the river. I believe it is a yellow building, with an entrance from an alley way. Just follow the hallway downstairs and into food area.Don't forget to buy some to take home with you! Enjoy !!

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 08:54 AM
Karen Dover

My husband and I will have about 4 days in Austria. I've seen responses for Salzberg; however, we are planning to spend some time in Vienna. Any suggestions on things we must see and do?

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 08:16 PM
D'Neane Wilkinson

Start with a city bus tour of Vienna. What are your
interests? My favorites are the Hofburg (including
the imperial apartments of Emperor Franz Josef and Empress Elisabeth), Stephansdom (St. Stephen's
Cathedral), Schonbrunn Palace (about a 15 minute
ride from the city center on the subway); The Anker-Uhr at noon (a clock that tells time by moving
figures); The Vienna Boys Choir sings mass at 9:15
on Sunday-tickets are available on Fridays, after 5p.m. at the chapel;the Staatsoper (Opera House).
Window shop on Graben (pedestrian only street) and
make sure to stop for coffee and the wonderful
Viennese pastries!
chapel

Old Jun 18th, 1997, 04:15 PM
Fisher

I will be going to Austria in July and am interested in visiting Salzburg and Innsbruck. Where should I stay? (Any input on hotels would be much appreciated).

Old Jun 20th, 1997, 09:07 AM
RONALD DOBRYDNIO

JUST RETURNED FROM FOUR DAYS IN VIENNA. WE DIDN'T CARE FOR THE VIENNA HILTON. TWO GOOD RESTAURANTS ARE THE PLACHUTTA (EXCELLENT DECOR, FOOD AND SERVICE WITH A FRIENDLY MULTILINGUAL STAFF) AND ANOTHER NEARBY CALLED FIGLMILLER (SPELLING MIGHT BE OFF) WHICH SERVES ONLY WIENER SCHNITZEL AND SALADS BUT THEIR SCHNITZEL IS ENORMOUS, GREAT TASTING AND REASONABLY PRICED. IT'S IN AN ARCADE ABOUT 20 PACES BACK. BOTH OF THESE PLACES ARE IN THE AREA OF THE VIENNA HILTON (ESPECIALLY PLACHUTTA) AND THE ST. STEPHANS CHURCH PLATZ.