Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Visiting an Italian Internet Cafe? Bring Passport. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visiting-an-italian-internet-cafe-bring-passport-562519/)

LoveItaly Oct 4th, 2005 11:58 AM

Visiting an Italian Internet Cafe? Bring Passport.

Hello everyone. Italy passed a new antiterrorism law in July.

Now anyone visiting a public internet cafe in Italy must register with the cafe. Before you can use a public computer, phone or fax machine you must give the cafe your passport which they must photocopy.

The internet cafes have to document which computer etc you use and also document the time you logged on and the time you logged off. The internet cafes have all had to buy special software that records which websites you have visited.

All this information then has to be turned over to the police per the new law.

Evidently some internet cafes are going to close as they do not want to play "policeman" to their customers plus the aggreviation of the extra cost and paperwork.

Anyone interested in this can read about it on www.usatoday.com

First time I have heard about this so it was news to me. Thought others here on Fodors might be interested. Cheers!

Statia Oct 4th, 2005 12:10 PM

Wow, thanks for the info LoveItaly. I wonder if having a copy would work or if it must be the original. I usually leave my original in our apartment since I don't like to walk around with it all day, but I do carry a copy.

azure0327 Oct 4th, 2005 12:17 PM

Just returned from Italy and used several different internet cafes. Most of them now ask to see a passport. I prefer to keep my passport in the hotel safe and only carried a photocopy of it with me, luckily that was enough for all the places I went to.

Statia Oct 4th, 2005 12:20 PM

Thanks for the extra info, azure.

i_am_kane Oct 4th, 2005 12:44 PM

Thanks, LoveItaly,

A lot of travelers use Internet cafe's while traveling...this is an important message.

Jean Oct 4th, 2005 12:54 PM

Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore...

If it helps in catching the bad guys, I'm all for it.

DejaVu Oct 4th, 2005 01:32 PM

This is very valuable info. Thanks for posting!

LoveItaly Oct 4th, 2005 01:52 PM

Your welcome! Or as they say in Italy, prego!!

I do think it is interesting that the law became effective in July and this is the first time I have heard of it. Even the International Herald Tribune never had any information about the new requirements.

Good to know that a photocopy of ones passport will work azure, as I also just carry a photocopy of my passport when "out on the streets in Italy".

We are living in a whole new world it seems. Safe travels everyone!

LoveItaly Oct 4th, 2005 07:07 PM

topping for anyone else going to Italy that does not know about this new law.

Dayle Oct 4th, 2005 07:16 PM

LoveItaly,

Interesting! I just came back and was never asked for my passport. Used internet cafes several times.

Oh, well, I'm just extremely thankful they enforce their no smoking laws!

LoveItaly Oct 4th, 2005 09:08 PM

Hello Dayle, that is interesting. Well Italians are not know for obeying the laws...and I thought it was strange that noone that has returned from Italy had reported this but evidently according to USAToday which posted the article which was from the Christian Scientist Monitor the law was put into force in July. So all I can say is that travellers should be aware and not be surprised if the public internet cafe they use is abiding by the new Italian law.

111op Oct 5th, 2005 10:48 AM

See also:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34687828

I added my comment to the other thread.

jewing Oct 5th, 2005 11:19 AM

We just returned last week from Italy. Used Internet Cafes in Siena, Rome and Florence, all required I.D. Drivers License was sufficient.

clevelandbrown Oct 5th, 2005 12:02 PM

I wonder how extensively they track your internet ramblings. I don't particularly mind their knowing where I receive my email, but I often visit my bank's site to see if I am bankrupted yet. I thought I was safe deleting the history before signing off, but now I'm wondering if they will be keeping a record of my usernames and passwords?

rex Oct 5th, 2005 12:30 PM

<< wonder if having a copy would work or if it must be the original...>>

I'm sure the question is simply naive. Do you realize how easily a "copy" (scan, print) can be modified to say ANYthing? The point of "official" documents is to be not so easy to reproduce. When asked (in conjunction with any law that requires you) to produce an official document, don't make the mistake of thinking that a "photocopy" is a suitable substitute.

Best wishes,

Rex