Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Visit to Alhambra (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visit-to-alhambra-105349/)

Roz Feb 10th, 2001 10:19 PM

Visit to Alhambra

The tour books say that you need reservations to get tickets to visit Alhambra. I'll be visiting Granada at the end of Feb. Do you think I will need to make reservations ahead of time? Also how do you get from the train station to Alhambra? Can you walk? If so how long of a walk is it? Would taking a cab be faster? How far of walk is it back to town? Thanks for the information.

ralf Feb 17th, 2001 03:52 AM

It's not necessary to book the alhambra now. At feruary you should be at the ticket office as early as possible in the morning, it opens half an hour beofre the Alhambra, i think at 8.30. <BR>You buy the ticket and go to the entrance. Be there at the time, given at your ticket. To go to the Alhambra (ticket office) you should take a taxi, not so expensive, and the Alhambra is on the top of a hill. An other possibility is public transport by bus. <BR>For lunch got to the restaurant at the parador "San Francesco" for a typical meal. You will enjoy it. <BR>Ralf <BR>

Roz Feb 21st, 2001 01:38 PM

Thanks for the information!

Scigirl Feb 21st, 2001 02:17 PM

Roz, <BR> <BR>If you are in Spain for a day or so before going to the Alhambra you can get your tickets at the bank - BBS I think is the abreviated name. (Your guidebook might say more about this.) When you get the tickets you will be given a specific time to enter the Alhambra. We got our tickets a few days in advance in Toledo. However, from what I have heard, if you arrive early you will be able to get same day tickets at Alhambra. Without the tickets you can still see some of the grounds and gardens. <BR> <BR>We walked from the train station to Alhambra. It isn't bad, although a few hills are involved. The medina (sp?) area of the city near the Alhambra enterance is also quite interesting. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip.

Roz Feb 22nd, 2001 08:04 PM

Thanks for the information!

top Feb 22nd, 2001 08:07 PM

to the top <BR>

Thomas Feb 23rd, 2001 06:13 AM

When taking a bus tour to Granada to see the Alhambra, is the bus ride on a very frightening route, a "white nuckle" trip up a treacherous road?

Tammy Feb 23rd, 2001 04:06 PM

I'm planning a trip to Spain in October and definitely want to visit the Alhambra in Granada. Regarding reserving tickets at the BBSI, can you do this at any branch regardless of the city? Also, how many days in advance are recommended? Thanks. Tammy

StCirq Feb 23rd, 2001 06:03 PM

Don't think you'll need resrvations at the end of February. Give yourself plenty of time, though - the Alhambra is magnificent. I don't know where the train station is, but the Alhambra is on top of the biggest hill in Granada. Don't miss seeing Ferdinand and Isabella in their tiny coffins in the cathedral while you're there. Granada is very special - enjoy it.

Maribel Feb 23rd, 2001 06:08 PM

To all, <BR>You can pick up your timed tickets (in 1/2 hr. slots) at any BBV bank anywhere in Spain. Don't need to do this far in advance, just a few days in advance for Feb. is sufficient. I bought mine in Madrid for a June visit, was incredibly easy, can put as many as 5 people on one ticket. There's a slight surcharge for this service but saves the hassle of standing in line and is reassuring,particularly in the summer months when the 8,500 alloted tickets per day can sell out by 11. <BR>For Thomas, <BR>The ride to Granada really isn't white knuckle at all. Lots of curves, yes, and if you're prone to car sickness, and it's exacerbated on a bus, you might want to stop in at a farmacia and buy some "biodramina", but not frightening at all. (I did this 2 summers ago on a tour bus-no one was frightened-not to worry).

Kathleen Feb 23rd, 2001 07:34 PM

Hi, <BR> <BR>It's also possible to get tickets by <BR>calling them and picking them up when <BR>you arrive. I'm sorry I don't have the number but your guidebook should have it or you could do a search on the internet. <BR> <BR>I heartily recommend a night tour as well as the day tour. It's absolutely magical at night. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR>Kathleen <BR>

Neva Feb 23rd, 2001 09:47 PM

Any tips on the best time of day for the Alhambra? Is there a lull time when the crowds aren't as dense?

Maribel Feb 24th, 2001 06:44 AM

Hi Neva, <BR>We entered at 9 a.m. in June to beat both the heat and the crowds. When the tour busses arrived at 10-11, the area filled up very quickly and it remained crowded through the afternoon. We took a restful late lunch break at 2:45 in the patio of the Hotel America (only had a 10 min wait in the little parlor to be seated). <BR> When I tried faxing the box office to reserve tickets, they replied with a form letter informing me to buy my tickets at a BBV bank. Because of the huge # of requests, they're heavily promoting the advance sales at a BBV. (We saw many signs and newspaper ads promoting the new system). <BR>As Kathleen has suggested, a night visit is really nice too. From Nov-Feb. you can visit Fri-Sat; from March-Oct., everyday except Sun/Mon. <BR>See www.alhambra-patronato.es