Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Visit Cidery near San Sebastian still open in May
Notices

Visit Cidery near San Sebastian still open in May

Apr 25th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Visit Cidery near San Sebastian still open in May

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out if there are any cideries open in May where you can actually talk to the cider makers about the art & science of the process.

I've been home brewing cider for a few years, and would chit-chat with others about process, the difference in the apples, etc.

To be clear I'm looking for more than just a place that spouts cider from a barrel into your glass with a lot of fanfare and nothing about the craft.

The sideria website I was reading seemed to indicate that most cideries would close for the season on April 30th.

Any tips or suggestions happily accepted!

Thanks!
-Lexie
Apr 25th, 2013, 08:21 AM

I'd head to Astigarraga just outside of San Sebastian.

You can visit the cider museum which would give you history and details of the cider making processes.

http://www.sagardoetxea.com/index.php?id=2&L=3

From there you could go to the cider house Petretigi. It's open year round and started offering tours last year. We visited last year on a Saturday the last weekend in September. We were the only people in the tour and got to walk into the orchards and also see the entire process. Afterwards we stayed for the traditional lunch. It was a great experience. I was afraid it would be dead in the restaurant as it was off season but it was very lively with alot of locals and French tourists.

http://www.petritegi.com/en.html

There are other cider houses open year round - the link for the cider museum has a good listing.
Apr 25th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

I am so printing this page out—thank you!

Search this Thread