Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Visa questions..staying in multiple countries...etc.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visa-questions-staying-in-multiple-countries-etc-852423/)

dtmowns Jul 31st, 2010 01:21 PM

Visa questions..staying in multiple countries...etc..

In the case that I wanted to spend 2-3 months in several different countries, (for example France, Denmark, The Netherlands and Germany) is there a Visa that I would need for this?

Thanks!

P_M Jul 31st, 2010 01:25 PM

What is your nationality?

P_M Jul 31st, 2010 01:39 PM

OK, I clicked your name to find your other post and I see you are American. If you are going to spend more than 90 days total in these countries you will need a Schengen Visa. That's not 90 days per country, that's 90 days in total. Here is a bit more info, scroll to the bottom to see the differnt types of visas:

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/schengenvisa/

janisj Jul 31st, 2010 02:08 PM

Please clarify - do you mean 2-3 months in EACH country, or 2-3 months total traveling in/between those places?

The way you wrote it, I suspect the former . .

If so, you only get 90 days total unless you get a long stay visa, but that would be fairly difficult.

dtmowns Jul 31st, 2010 02:45 PM

What about a student Visa saying I was studying languages? I am a U.S. Citizen.

janisj Jul 31st, 2010 03:03 PM

You can't just "study languages" - you need to be accepted and enrolled in a school.

nytraveler Jul 31st, 2010 04:32 PM

If you want a student visa you need to be accepted in a school, enroll in the school, pay the tuition - and remain a student in good standing - which I would assume means attending classes.

For a American there is no easy shortcut to staying in Schengen for more than 90 days total.

You can stay in Schengen for 90 days - then leave - for 90 days - then return - but don't know if you have that much time.

ira Aug 1st, 2010 04:07 AM

Hey dt,

How are you going to fund more than 90 days in the Schengen countries?

Note that the UK is not a Schengen country, so you can spend about 2 months there.

((I))

WTnow Aug 1st, 2010 04:20 AM

You can get a long stay visa ( hard) or a student visa ( 6 months and easier to obtain) or you can just gear your travels in a way that keeps you legal as others have mentioned and many do.

You just put other nearby countries in between your 3 months in each of those countries ( ie UK, Ireland, Turkey, Morocco etc).

elina Aug 1st, 2010 04:42 AM

>>>You just put other nearby countries in between your 3 months in each of those countries ( ie UK, Ireland, Turkey, Morocco etc).<<<

That would mean that s/he spends 90 days in those "in-between" countries also.

90 days in Schengen, 90 days out, 90 days in Schengen, 90 days out...

zeppole Aug 1st, 2010 05:08 AM

dtmowns,

You are getting a wealth of incorrect and incomplete information in these responses. You must get answers from embassies or consulates of the countries you are thinking of visiting. You can't plan what you are contemplating on message boards. A U.S. citizen living doesn't necessarily need a "long-stay visa" or Schengen Visa but many countries require other documents not being talked about here. It is not as difficult as lots of people on this board will try to tell you -- but you will waste time talking with them instead of talking to people who actually know what they are talking about. You will find them in consulates.

Cowboy1968 Aug 1st, 2010 06:16 AM

I'd second zep's remarks.

Once you get beyond the visa-waiver scheme of the Schengen area (90d max in a 180d period) you are leaving the "easy area".

For example, in Germany it's fairly easy for citizens of (let's say it how it is) Western democracies like the US, Canada, AUS, or NZ to extent their 90d Schengen visa waiver for a 12 month permit of residence. This permit does not give you the freedom to travel and stay in other Schengen countries, though (if you used up all your 90/180d "Schengen days").
As a non-EU citizen you are also not eligible for any medical or social services in Germany, though. There is nothing like a "free national health service" like in the UK here.
As a non-EU citizen, you pay for each trip to the doctor and every pill. And if there should arise the need to stay in the hospital you can expect to enjoy state-of-the-art surgery even just to get rid of your appendix, but also a bill that easily jumps into five digits euro.
So have a good insurance that also covers longstays abroad.

This was just ONE example, and I assume that the other countries you mentioned will have their share of national regulations and specifics. You definetely want to get professional assistance from the respective embassies.

dtmowns Aug 1st, 2010 09:43 AM

Thanks a lot guys.. you're probably right about just going to the embassies for advice.