Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   visa overstay experiences gone bad - please share yours (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/visa-overstay-experiences-gone-bad-please-share-yours-733208/)

redhedgurrl Aug 31st, 2007 11:29 AM

visa overstay experiences gone bad - please share yours

Hi - as mentioned on another thread, there must be some stories of overstaying visas and getting caught. I'd like to hear some of those stories. Obviously doing other illegal things puts one at a higher risk for getting caught - I'm looking for how people got caught and what the repercusions (sp) were...thanks!
Rena

slangevar Aug 31st, 2007 11:45 AM

I was just wondering today how they'd even find out. (assuming I wasn't someone who alerted the state department of my departure) ;-)

I arrived by train to Paris, so my passport wasn't stamped, and I'm not staying in a hotel, so no one has reported my location. It seems like you could just stay forever if you could find jobs under the table.

(Kerouac, I promise I'm not doing that)

tjenneke Aug 31st, 2007 02:13 PM

Belgian girl overstayed in New-york. She spent 2 weeks in Jail over there, got a hefty fine and isn't allowed to enter the US for 7 years.

slangevar Aug 31st, 2007 02:23 PM

Poor girl! 2 weeks in a NY jail, a fine and banishment from America for 7 years sounds really excessive (though so do our immigration policies)!

lincasanova Aug 31st, 2007 02:27 PM

not stories of overstaying in the USA,( would NEVER advise to do so)

but stories of americans overstaying in europe...

i have not found the systems to be as techno-oriented nor are they as concerned in some countries about non-visa tourists overstaying.

janisj Aug 31st, 2007 02:28 PM

redhedgurrl: This question makes me think your other thread about your American friend must have omitted some other details. Is there a connection between asking about overstaying a visa and your friend needing a sponsor letter/health info????

redhedgurrl Sep 1st, 2007 07:45 AM

Hi - no, there is no connection at all. I'd still like to hear more incidents of overstaying visas in the schengen. Our kids are going to be in french public school - will they report us?

Pinchme_iam_dreaming Sep 1st, 2007 07:54 AM

Call the US state department and ask them.

ipod_robbie Sep 1st, 2007 07:58 AM

Our kids are going to be in french public school - will they report us?

You ask if your kids will report you? I don't know, you'll need to ask your kids.

redhedgurrl Sep 1st, 2007 08:02 AM

Ha Ha! Thanks for the chuckle!

ipod_robbie Sep 1st, 2007 08:05 AM

It sounds like you are planning to intentionally overstay your legal visa in France, and broadcasting those intentions on the public internet.

Call it what you want, but you will be an illegal immigrant in France. It'll be hard to plead ignorance in a French court.

janisj Sep 1st, 2007 01:29 PM

&quot;<i>Call the US state department and ask them.</i>&quot; I don't see how that has any relevance. What happens is up to the French immigration officers.

Pinchme_iam_dreaming Sep 1st, 2007 01:40 PM

I was kidding.

hopscotch Sep 1st, 2007 01:43 PM

I have overstayed the 90 days in France and Holland with no problems, but I did not have kids in school. With kids in school you will need a residence permit to get them enrolled. Tell us the whole story.

grapes Sep 1st, 2007 02:13 PM

Skip the transparent secondary agenda and just ask the French authorities what the punishment is for being an illegal alien. Your &quot;children&quot; may not enjoy being detained.

hopscotch Sep 1st, 2007 04:29 PM

What's your game red?
http://tinyurl.com/yog8uv

tomboy Sep 1st, 2007 06:06 PM

Ipod robbie: I don't think redheadgurl would have ANY problem pleading ignorance in a French court, if she's putting her kids in Franch school beyond visa expiration date.

Toupary Sep 1st, 2007 11:10 PM

Is there any reason you can't apply for a long-term visa?

redhedgurrl Sep 2nd, 2007 02:21 AM

Ok, thank you for the comments - we've decided not to risk it anyway - Now to find someone to take care of our pets here in france while they wait out their quarantine....
Thanks again -

kerouac Sep 2nd, 2007 02:59 AM

Okay, now this is getting weird. I am calling the State Department immediately.