Visa for Cruise Passengers in St. Pete

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to receive a definitive answer where I have checked, and the cruise line seems to be trying to scare us. Will I need a visa to disembark from a cruise ship in St. Petersburg if I am being led by a locally registered tour guide?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
ira

Hi P,

Your guide should be able to tell you.

Don't pay him/her until after you disembark.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM

If you are not on a cruise sanctioned excursion (one that the cruise arranges), you must apply for your own visa at the nearest Russian embassy.

Your guide should know what is involved, and what documentation you require for your visa. If not, I would suggest you find another guide.

Just curious, who are you using?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Author: DeeW
Date: 06/15/2007, 05:44 pm
The cruise lines do try to scare you into thinking that it is only their tours that are visa exempt because they
like the significant profit involved when you take their tours.

You do not need an independent visa if you are on a tour with a registered tour company, and will be in Russia for les than 72 hours. A couple of examples of reputable tour companies are Den Rus and Red October. Obviously, these tours must be arranged ahead of time. You can not get off the ship and arange it there as you must submit the tour documents and "invitation" from the sponsoring tour company to the immigration officials.

In the fall of 2005 my husband and i were absolutely delighted with the small group tour (11 people) that we had arranged through Den Rus. Two full days of amazing sights and interpretation from a very knowledable guide, who as our good fortune would have it, was a retired art history professor. Not only was our cost somewhat less than the cruise aranged tours, we had the benefit of a much smaller group, and personal interaction with our guide and driver.We formed our party of 11 by posting on a cruise forum.

Ask the companies with whom you are corresponding to confirm that this is still the protocol.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM

http://www.visitrussia.com/visas/visa_types.htm
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Some of those same companies (DenRus and Red October) also arrange ship's tours for the cruise lines and both of them make it quite clear that if you ARE registered with them or other reputable firms (independent of any pre-arranged ships' tours) that they can take care of the visa requirements.

I agree that your prospective guide should be able to allay any fears you might have.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Excellent. Thanks for the help. We are using alla tours, who has been wonderful so far. I just wanted some outside confirmation about the visa. I think what the cruise ships do to scare you about the visas in Russia is bordering on fraudulent.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Pabirch,

We are currently working with the same issues.

DenRus has assured us that our group of 14 which has contracted for two days of private tours in St. Pete will be completely covered and able to exit the ship, etc., despite (in this case) Celebrity Cruises' intimations to the contrary.

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Dukey, thanks for that info on excursions with DenRus. Last year, we had such confusing answers from both DenRus and Red October that we gave up and went with Celebrity's excursions, and the price wasn't that much off what we were quoted by either company. We were relatively happy with our end result. Although I must say, at times, I had an uncontrollable desire to moo.

I heard many great things about Alla's tours on our ship. I think you'll have a wonderful time with her. In fact, I remember hearing only raves when everyone got back on the Constellation, no matter who they used.

I'm envious. Enjoy...