Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Virgin Media Broadband in UK-can you help my daughter?

Old Oct 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am feeling very sorry for my 24 year old daughter who is in graduate school in the UK. She signed up for Virgin Media broadband and a landline phone over a month ago and STILL has nothing except them taking her money. She moved into an apartment in Southampton over a month ago and was promised that she would have both before the end of September. Of course, they lost the order;then took 3 weeks to come and install the phone line (that still does not work), finally sent the router for her broadband but forgot to send the startup CD-well you get the picture.

She has called them,over $28 in phone bills from being on hold;emailed them-"send us a letter and we will get back to you within 28 days" and today was on "hold" on the internet for 1 hour and 48 minutes before she finally decided to go to dinner.

This whole mess is really affecting her getting her schoolwork done,talking to us,etc. Anyone had any experience with Virgin Media and/or any suggestions.No one is local in Southampton. If you have an idea where I could email Richard Branson about his customer service, I would be thrilled to take it. Thanks!
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Sorry to hear that. The broadband industry in the UK is expanding so fast - under intense competition - that horror stories about bad customer service are legion. Phoning a UK ISP is usually a total waste of time, as you just get put through to a call centre in Bangalore. Has your daughter submitted an online complaint form at:- http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginm...t-feedback.php ?

It will get sorted out eventually (though the waiting is frustrating of course), and there's a good chance they will offer some compensation for screw-ups on their part - if you keep pestering them through their complaints procedure. If you fail to get satisfaction through Virgin's complaint's procedure, you can refer them to the telecoms regulator, OFCOM: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/int...celled/formal/
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gordon-will pass this on to her.She has written quite a few complaint notes to the first email address you have provided but they just write back that they will call her soon with a solution.Then when she has called they either have hung up on her or never gotten back to her. Ironically, she took Virgin Media because it was only a 12 month contract over others that wanted 18 months. Her comment is that it might take that long to finally get it.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Tell her to call them and say she wants to leave - they will try not to let her go. They will also say she has a 12 month contract - but that doesn't matter, they have broken the contract she has no obligation to continue. If she wants to stay with them the people in the disconnection department will try to sort things out, give her 3 months free internet or something.

She should also copy her letter in to the local trading standards office - they will be based in the council offices and can intervene on her behalf. It's free and I've found them really useful they will tell her exactly where she stands legally, give her a template of the letters she should send and will go as far as taking legal action (|OK that's not going to happen but in my experience as soon as they get involved things are suddenly resolved)

If she decides to leave then I've just set up with 3 - I'm now away from home Monday to Friday and their mobile internet is enough for me. It can also be used anywhere. They also sent me a free PAYG simcard which has free (including international) Skype calls.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 12:26 AM

Here's some online advice:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/br...umer-rights/1/

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/new...2006/broadband

and the central government consumer advice phone line is

08454 040506
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 02:22 PM

hi dutyfree

Sorry to read about the problems your daughter is having. Can she cancel without penalty and move to another ISP?

I signed up with this company that offers both a telephone service and broadband. Great rates and getting me up and running with a new telephone line and broadband was fast and efficient. Plus, it's a one month contract only. That, their great reviews and the fact that they are a smaller independent company sealed the deal for me.

I should also say they kept me up to date all the way through the rapid transfer over from British Telecom.

This is their site:

http://www.idnet.net

Reviews here:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews115200.html

Jon
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:38 AM

Hi, I work for Virgin Media. Please drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll see what I can do to help.

Thanks,
Karen
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Karen-thanks for offering to help. What is your position at Virgin Media?