Vinyard, winery, cellar in Loire valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,<BR>I'll be spending a week in Paris at the end of May and would like to take a few days to travel and stay in Tours. From there I'll rent a car and visit some of the chateaux. Does anyone have an recommendations or websits or more information on visiting some of the vinyard/winery/cellars in the Loire valley for a tour and tastings? I'm hoping to break up the chateaux visitings with some wine-related fun. Thanks for your time...<BR><BR>-Eric<BR>[email protected]
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:04 PM

topping for us both
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:46 PM

There are wineries all over. When you go to visit chateaux from Tours, you are sure to pass some of them. Just stop in. Most do not have tours but do have tastings. Please remember that you are expected to buy if you taste.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:12 PM

Hi<BR><BR>the tastings are better organised in known &quot;name&quot; areas such as Vouvray, Saumur, Chinon.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:28 AM

Both Angers and Saumur have Maisons du Vin where you can taste numerous local wines. They also have reams of info available. Taste a variety of wines then visit the wineries of your favorites (if time is short, tho, you can buy the wines at the Maisons du Vin also). Our favorites are Bourgeuil and some of the better wines from vineyard across the street from the Chinon castle (Duly-Coutheuil, but I'm in an Internet cafe and may not have the spelling exact). FYI, the Maison du Vin in Angers is right by the chateau; in Saumur it's in the center of town.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:00 AM

BTilke, I think the Chinon wine you're thinking of is &quot;Couly Dutheil&quot;
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Two places we took actual tours were Vouvray and Samaur. Both had great caves that you can tour. Very interesting. It was fun to just stop at some of the very small, family run wineries that posted &quot;degaustation&quot; signs outside. Often we would get taken into a small out building with a son who poured and didn't speak English. We had some very interesting sign language conversations. And yes, please buy a bottle or two if you taste.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 02:22 PM

I would highly recommend visiting Clos Baudoin in Vouvray. The owner, Prince Philippe Poniatowski, is an heir to the Polish throne. He is an excellent host and very anxious to offer tastings of his excellent vouvrays. I would also recommend visiting the vineyards in Bourgueil to sample the wonderful reds made from the Cabernet Franc grape. I particularly liked the wines of Yannick Amirault (Domaine de la Coudraye), but if you like full bodied reds you can't go wrong in the Loire. Just slightly outside of Tours is one of our favorite hotels, Chateau de Rochecotte. I would highly recommend staying there. The rooms are large, the restaurant wonderful and the hosts quite gracious. Enjoy!