Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vilnius hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vilnius-hotels-417506/)

Kristi Mar 31st, 2004 01:56 PM

Vilnius hotels

I'm debating over a couple of choices in Vilnius. I found a great rate at the Holiday Inn, I know it's a corporate hotel and probably doesn't have a lot of charm but I hope it will have a good bed which is a must for my better half. How is the location? The description makes it sound like it's just a 5 minute walk from the old town but then I look at a map and it looks like it's not near anything.

The other one I was looking at, based on the review in In your Pocket was Hotel Rinno which looks like it is closer to the bus station (we will be doing a day trip at least one of the days) and on the edge of the Jewish quarter.

Any thoughts on either hotel or a gem you'd like to share with me that I haven't discovered?

Thanks!

SalB Mar 31st, 2004 07:34 PM

ttt

Kristi Apr 1st, 2004 06:24 AM

I'm also looking at the Shakespeare and Shakespeare Too if anyone has any thoughts on those.

Jed Apr 1st, 2004 07:49 AM

We staued at the Stikliai which was an upscale hotel in the Jewish Quarter. The room was small and I am not sure it was worth it.

The city is small, and walking was easy. If you take a taxi, as I remember, the fares were reasonable.

On Expedia, the Holiday Inn is listed as being near the center of town. We also saw the rooms at Raddison, which looked small. ((C))

Shane Apr 1st, 2004 12:30 PM

My workmate is married to a Lithuanian girl from Vilnius. He recommends the Astoria in downtown Vilnius. It is centrally located.

Shane Apr 1st, 2004 12:37 PM

Just looked up the Astoria on the internet. It's part of the Radisson chain and goes for about $ 160 a night. The hotel's facilities include a restaurant, car rental, shops, laundry and room service, a telephone, a television with cable, a mini-bar, a hair dryer and is air conditioned.

Kristi Apr 1st, 2004 12:58 PM

Thanks Shane and Jed, I am trying to keep my per night cost under $100. The Holiday Inn can be had for 63E (21 day advance prepaid rate, don't know if I want to do that 2 months in advance), the Rinno is 73-83E, just under my threshhold.

The Shakespeare's are 116E and 127E, I'm still waiting for a rate on the new Novotel but the cheapest I've found it is $145US

grogger69 Apr 1st, 2004 03:15 PM

Was there last month. Domus Maria right by the gates of dawn, nice and quiet and well worth it.

Kristi Apr 2nd, 2004 10:13 AM

How about the Barbacan? I found an internet rate of 77E,the location looks good.

Ugne Oct 20th, 2005 07:56 AM

Hello!

If anybody is intersting in renting an appartment in the hart of vilnius, i have 2 very cozy and quite big flats in oldtown to offer. Prices per one day are about 50euro, the price depends on how long will You stay and how many people will be. If You are interested please contact me by email [email protected]