Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Villas in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/villas-in-italy-741333/)

kmadsen Oct 7th, 2007 02:54 PM

Villas in Italy

My friend is having me plan her 50th birthday. She wants to go to Italy for a month and stay in various villas. It will be in the fall of 2008. She wants to have people from the states come visit her at different times.
First, if she were to stay in 4 different towns which should she choose. Secondly should she travel by train from one destination to the next? Thirdly, Is Sicily a must?? Sure seems like a great place from the research I have done. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Viajero2 Oct 7th, 2007 03:04 PM

I don't know your friend; why don't you ask her?

This has got to be a troll; if is not, then it sure is thinking like one....#-o

kmadsen Oct 7th, 2007 03:12 PM

I don't uncerstan your reference to a troll??

kmadsen Oct 7th, 2007 03:16 PM

Viajero2 Sorry typo, I don't understand your reference to a troll.

Viajero2 Oct 7th, 2007 03:18 PM

A troll, in web forum lingo, refers to a poster who poses a comment/question in a manner that makes it eveident that the undertone sole purpose of the question is to stir things up; i.e. a question such as : I am going to Italy, tell me why, where, and how.

kmadsen Oct 7th, 2007 03:28 PM

Viajero2 Since I am new to this, how should I have stated my request. (still learning) kmadsen

LoveItaly Oct 7th, 2007 03:36 PM

Hello kmadsen, does your friend have a computer? Personally I wouldn't get involved planning some one else's trip..if things are not to her liking you will be the one blamed.

I would suggest your friend post here on Fodor's with her questions herself after getting some travel books be it from her local library and/or purchased from a book store. After she figures out what areas of Italy appeals to her she will have a better idea as to what questions she needs answers to as from your questions personally I wouldn't have a clue as to what would please your friend and her friends.

It is to difficult to answer your questions not having an clue what your friend or her friends enjoy. Their interest, the type of weather they like etc. Your question about using the trains. A lot of "villas" are outside of cities and towns and consequently renting a car might be the best. Train service in Italy is good if one is travelling from one city to the next of course. Anyway my input is that your friend comes onto Fodor's or to any other travel website that appeals to her after doing some research. Best regards.

ellenem Oct 7th, 2007 03:49 PM

LoveItaly gives good advice. Many posters make the same mistake as you did, posting too general a question. Italy is a big place with a great variety of things to offer in a number of different regions. From your post, we have no idea why your friend has chosen Italy at all. To begin to recommend locations for villas, it would help for us to understand what your friend expects her visit to be like. For example . . .

- My friend wants to sit at her villa by a pool and relax the entire time.

- My friend loves art and architecture--visits to museums are a must.

- My friend is interested in hiking.

- My friend has no interest in shopping.

- My friend wants a full-service villa that comes with a cook and maid service.

- My friend must be within walking distance of a town with dining options.

So, to answer your specific question. . . "is Sicily a must?" . . . From what you've told us so far , we can't tell.

We really would love to help you, so a bit more information about your friend would get us going.

kmadsen Oct 7th, 2007 04:16 PM

Wow! Thanks I feel like I just entered Fodor's 101 Class. I will catch on soon.

My husband agrees with LoveItaly. He thinks it is a set up for me to plan for her. How I got to be the one to do the planning is she is too busy and I love doing web searches. A little more info about her. She is mildly disabled so stairs and hiking need to be kept to a minimum.

Italy?? because she has always wanted to go. She wants to walk around a small town for example. Maybe a villa in a small town near a large town. She says she wants to experience Italy.
I guess I was vague because she is too.

LoveItaly Oct 7th, 2007 04:35 PM

Hi kmadsen, if your friend has a disability and has to have stairs and hills at a minimum all the more reason to have her do the research in my opinion.

You sound like a wonderful friend, but seriously I would turn this over to her. And in that she will not be going to Italy for a year she will have plenty of time to research her trip to Italy.

NeoPatrick Oct 7th, 2007 05:16 PM

I honestly don't mean this to sound rude, but I'm afraid it will. On another thread you asked about going to Venice for one night in conjunction with a cruise. You asked how to get there, where to stay, and what to see. No problem there. But in all curiosity why on earth is this friend asking YOU to plan her month trip to Italy? Something here doesn't make sense. Are you an expert on Italy? Your other post sure wouldn't indicate it.

But in any case, I'm assuming these villas are somewhat in the country. That's not my style, I like towns where I can walk to dinner, etc. But if someone is spending four weeks in four country villas, the very first thing they need is a car. How on earth would they survive just going by train? So before anyone goes any futher, you need to find out if a car lease is a possibility. Also what does she want to do -- just sit in these country villas or get out and explore? Is she planning to cook and entertain these various guests?

kmadsen Oct 7th, 2007 07:22 PM

NeoPatrick I understand your comfusion. I have been planning her 4 week trip for about 6 months. The cruise became a reality 3 weeks ago. I agree very strange I have never been to Italy and now I might be going twice in 5 months. The cruise is happening for sure and it was in prep for it that I came across Fodor's. Been having fun with it since. As you can tell I am very green at this process. I appreciate your feedback so I can learn and be a good fodorite.

NeoPatrick Oct 7th, 2007 07:28 PM

"I have been planning her 4 week trip for about 6 months."

OK.

But you haven't yet figured out any of the villas or even which areas of the country they will be in? And you haven't figured out whether they will have a car or not?
Again, this may sound a little brusque, but what exactly HAVE you planned in the last 6 months?
What villages have you looked at that impress you (or her)?

kmadsen Oct 8th, 2007 06:54 AM

I have searched rentavilla.com. I have found 3 places in Sicily that look fabulous. A couple in Venice. A few in Tuscany Pisa area. You made it sound like renting a car for a month was nearly impossible. Since renting a car for a month in the states is very doable I didn't even consider only "alternate transportation".

The reason for my inquery is to find things like this out. Just looking for responses like "we stayed in a villa in Venice called "fill in the blank" it had great access to shops a view of the water and the hosts were easy to work with. Maybe I need a travel agent I thought this was the right venue since it is working for my cruise trip and my trip to NY.
Again I am sorry if I am misusing the site.
K

NeoPatrick Oct 8th, 2007 07:09 AM

"You made it sound like renting a car for a month was nearly impossible."

Huh? Who did? No, my suggestion is that a car is almost a necessity. I only brought it up because in the original post you asked about taking trains between the places, making me think a car hadn't been thought of. My suggestion is she'll want a car for the whole trip assuming they are country places.

Now something is new, or maybe I misunderstood. I think of "villas" as country lodging. But you mention Venice. Do you mean some of these one week stays might be within cities in apartments rather than country villas?
If so, what cities? Venice? Also Rome or Florence?

Meanwhile if you want help -- and yes you can get it all here -- what do you need? Budget? Number of bedrooms and bathrooms? Are we talking about this woman alone with perhaps one couple as guests each place or a family of 10 joining her? There are $1000 a week apartments and then there are $10,000 a week staffed villas. Some people do either. We really don't know anything about this friend of yours or what she's looking for.

SusanP Oct 8th, 2007 12:16 PM

I don't think YOU need a travel agent. You can get all the information you need here. But I think maybe your FRIEND needs a travel agent! As LoveItaly pointed out, if this trip doesn't meet her expectations, who do you think will get the blame? You, of course.

However, if you want help, you've been given the way to get it several times.
What is her budget per night?
How many people will be visiting her and for how long?
Will some of the time be in cities as opposed to the country?
To get help, you have to at least narrow down which sections of the country.

Everyone has been trying to make you realize that you need to give much more information in order to get meaningful help. We don't want to waste our time giving lots of information about a section of the country she has no interest in visiting.

Julie_Hurst Oct 8th, 2007 02:11 PM

kmadsen, it seems to me that you answered the question as to why you are planning the trip - "she is too busy and I love doing web searches". I can understand that; I like to do web searches too - especially about traveling! :-)

If I may, I would like to offer a suggestion. If you do not care whether she likes your planning or not, just do your thing & give it to her - task done. However, if you are concerned about displeasing her & the fall-out(!), I suggest that you gather a lot of info, several itineraries, & hand it to her & advise her to decide what she wants to do, or none of the above & she can go to a travel agent! That way you saved her time, you enjoyed the researching, & you are not responsible for her final decision.

Now, as others have suggested, advise us of:
1. her total budget, ande what will she accept as the top price for a villa - $1000, $10,000.
2. what activities she enjoys, (a)sitting or actively touring or mixture of both, (b)scenery--beaches or mountains or hilly terrain or groves or cityscapes or historical sites or a mixture of all, (c)cities vs. towns, (d)activities--touring historical sites or walking streets or art or museums or shopping or touring a vineyard or all.
3. what are her physical limitations? Obviously, if she has trouble walking, you would not want to advise her to stay in a town where all walks include an uphill climb and/or lots of stairs.
4. What size of villa does she need / expect & will she stay there independently or with a house staff.
5. Is she familiar with Italy at all? She needs to give you an idea of the "parts" & "types" of Italy she wants to visit. If she is not familiar, you could research & then discuss each area with her.
6. Is she independent enough & will she accept renting a car & driving in Italy or would she prefer / need only train transport from one lodging to another or will she want to hire a private driver to transport her around?

If you don't know about the above, discuss such with her & get back with us. Then we can help by suggesting some itineraries, then lodging, then activities, then transportation from one place to another & within each place.

Another suggestion I have is for your research, go to affordabletours.com. They sell group guided tours. Look at some of those for ideas of places, activities, locations, costs, etc. May give you some ideas to present to her.

Also, slowtrav.com & tripadvisor.com are good places for gathering lodging info.

I haven't been to Sicily or stayed in a villa, so I don't have any first hand info to offer. But since you have already done some research, I'm sure you know that many on this board like villas in Tuscany & Amalfi Coast. If you are interested in those areas, you might post a new thread, such as, Please share your info on villas in Tuscany & Amalfi Coast. Then just ask for info sharing on others' experiences. Maybe you'll get some good hits.

Good luck & hope you get back with us so we can give specific help.

Julie

kmadsen Oct 8th, 2007 03:50 PM

Julie thanks for understanding my desire to help a friend. I still agree with loveitaly though and have wondered if it is a risky thing to oversee.
"1. her total budget, ande what will she accept as the top price for a villa - $1000, $10,000."

Around $ 2,000-2500.00 per week.
She will have 2 guests in Venice; 1 guest in Florence/Tuscany area. 3 guest in Rome and 1 again in Amalfi Coast.

"2. what activities she enjoys, (a)sitting or actively touring or mixture of both, (b)scenery--beaches or mountains or hilly terrain or groves or cityscapes or historical sites or a mixture of all, (c)cities vs. towns, (d)activities--touring historical sites or walking streets or art or museums or shopping or touring a vineyard or all."

She would not mind a little of all of the above. I guess that is another reason I am vague because her goal is just to experience Italy.

"3. what are her physical limitations? Obviously, if she has trouble walking, you would not want to advise her to stay in a town where all walks include an uphill climb and/or lots of stairs."

She can walk fine just not for long periods and stairs if kept to a minimum.

"4. What size of villa does she need / expect & will she stay there independently or with a house staff."

She will stay independently. She would like to save costs in the area of no house staff.

"5. Is she familiar with Italy at all? She needs to give you an idea of the "parts" & "types" of Italy she wants to visit. If she is not familiar, you could research & then discuss each area with her."

I just called her she likes the idea of Venice, Florence/Tuscany area, Rome and possible Amalfi Coast. Yes there are villas in Venice

"6. Is she independent enough & will she accept renting a car & driving in Italy or would she prefer / need only train transport from one lodging to another or will she want to hire a private driver to transport her around?"

She would rent a car. When I first inquired I wondered if she would rent a car while at that particular destination then travel by train to the next and rent a car again?? Is that doable or would you just recommend traveling by car the whole time??

Zerlina Oct 8th, 2007 04:25 PM

>>Yes there are villas in Venice<<

Sorry, there are no villas in Venice for three people; there are apartments.
The same in Rome for four people, for two in Florence/Tuscany and for two on the Amalfi Coast. A villa is an independent, unattached house. There is no space in Venice or Rome or Florence for villas. And in Tuscany and on the Amalfi Coast, no one builds a villa to house two people!

She will most definitely not need a car in Venice (she couldn't use it). If it's her first trip to Rome or Florence, she shouldn't try to drive in those cities. Besides which, the historical centers of both cities have traffic-restricted areas where she could either not drive or would risk having traffic tickets charged to her credit card a year later. She should definitely not drive the Amalfi Coast. The only place where she would need and could use a car would be if she chose to stay in the country in Tuscany.

First things first, I would suggest that you get a handle on Italy by buying a good guide book. Find out what the reality is, instead of what it looks like to you from looking at, as far as I can tell, one Web site.

But I would also agree that you are setting yourself up for major problems by taking on planning for your friend.

ellenem Oct 8th, 2007 04:33 PM

She can group the area she visits based on when she might need a car.

Therefore, for the itinerary you have suggested, she might begin in Venice--no car needed there.

Then, pick up a car as she leaves Venice and drive to Tuscany, keeping the car for the week in Tuscany.

Then drive to Amalfi and keep the car for that week.

Then drive to Rome and ditch the car for the week in Rome.

The car would be rented for two weeks of the four.

I assume she would then head home from Rome.