Villas in Italy

Jul 9th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Villas in Italy

Hey guys,

Just joined this forum, hopefully I can get some useful tips/help

I'd like to travel to Italy in September, and special things to do in Tuscany?

Thanks!
Jul 9th, 2019, 06:57 AM

Tuscany is a big place where do you want to be?
Main travel option by train or car?
How big a villa?
2019? Going to be interesting
Have you thought about agris https://www.agriturismo.it/en ?
For how long?
Any idea of how much you want to spend?
Or how many of you are there?
Services you want?

Special things; spas, horse riding, climbing, eating, drinking, festival attending, art, yoga, museums, visiting quarries.. I guess you might tell us a bit about yourselves.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jul 9th, 2019 at 07:04 AM.
Jul 9th, 2019, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

I want to plan a romantic vacation for my wife. I heard all the good stuff is in Tuscany
Car yes. A villa with 3-4 rooms, budget up to 300 euro per night..
Jul 9th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Villas cost way more than 300 per night.
Jul 9th, 2019, 07:39 AM

Welcome to Fodors. Fantastic, far more information.

it depends on how much you like other tourists and how much you like to visit art. So Florence is the obvious centre of the art stuff and you can rent apartments in the city for that sort of money and with local shops you can have a lovely time especially if you look south to the Porta di Roma (so old town, but not where the tourists are) and just stroll in each day.

You could do the same in Siena for example which is the other big drawer. Then a host of smaller places like San Gimignano, Volterra etc which are small but the coaches make them difficult until the evening. Then step back again to the places that are less well known like Buonconvento, still with a historical centre but more the local sort of place or perhaps a spa centre/town.

I would look at the Agris, they are very cheap and really very lovely, often with a farmer's wife running the place, a pool and a restaurant on-site with animals to play with. Spending lots may seem the natural way but Agris can make you feel more like joining a family. Though most kids will be back at school so no sorting out tears etc.

Then Airbnb often give you great deals.

https://www.mrandmrssmith.com/ give you top of the range. But you are often on your own, outside of town with a fair bit to do for yourselves.

If this is your first time I might look at places close to a smaller town like Lucca, Prato, Colle di Val d'Esla, Pienza, Buonconvento, Chiusi etc all are easy to get to from the motorway and give good access to other pretty places, then maybe do a day trip to Siena and a day trip to Florence.
Jul 9th, 2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr View Post
Villas cost way more than 300€ per night.
AirBnb has loads of small houses, flats and villas on at sub 100 a day. If you want your own olive grove and vineyard then yes you need to pay more, but there are great deals out there now. Note that the OP only wants 3 or 4 rooms, not 3 or 4 bedrooms.

You will find that mrandmrssmith are well above your budget, but you normally get a garden etc etc and you still have to find food, sort stuff out etc.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jul 9th, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Jul 10th, 2019, 03:20 AM

"All the good stuff" is highly subjective. I can think of a number of places in Italy outside Tuscany that have "all the good stuff" for me, but might bore you silly. "Romantic" is also subjective. What you've "heard" is rarely a legitimate basis for planning a trip to...anywhere. You need to either reveal a lot more about yourselves or get busy with some guidebooks and maps and websites, or both. You might start by defining what "villa" means to you. Then we can help you refine a plan that's suitable for you.
Jul 10th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post
"All the good stuff" is highly subjective. I can think of a number of places in Italy outside Tuscany that have "all the good stuff" for me, but might bore you silly. "Romantic" is also subjective. What you've "heard" is rarely a legitimate basis for planning a trip to...anywhere. You need to either reveal a lot more about yourselves or get busy with some guidebooks and maps and websites, or both. You might start by defining what "villa" means to you. Then we can help you refine a plan that's suitable for you.
I will reply on this, but first - How do I change the settings to be able to send more posts in less than 24 hours?
Jul 10th, 2019, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Like I want to reply but it won't let me. Is it normal or only for new users?
Jul 10th, 2019, 07:41 AM

new posters have to wait out a period (1 or 2 posts every day). Just wait and keep adding to this thread which will then come back to the top of the list.
Jul 11th, 2019, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post
I'm a simple man, same as my wife. We just want to go to all those romantic places where millions of other couples had photos, drank some wine and had some nice ordinary boring sex.
Can it get more simple than this?

We are in our mid 30s, and been to all the surrounding countries- Egypt, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Croatia. We just like the fact it's became so cheap (currency wise) to travel to Europe in the past few years. So my partner said few years ago she never been to Italy, and I thought it will be brilliant to surprise her.

bilboburgler thanks for your advice! That's awesome! Florence looks great, same as Siene. I put everything on a map, trying to see how to arrange it. All within 1-2 hours drive max, which work perfectly fine.
Jul 11th, 2019, 12:38 PM

I want to reply but it won't let me. Is it normal or only for new users?

Only for newbies. Once you have a few more posts under your belt... you can post as often as you like.
Jul 11th, 2019, 03:06 PM

Nice and simple might be starting in Florence, see some art and tourists, churches and shopping, then get to a rental car (airport is a good choice) and the head down the Chiantigiana. Explore some lovely places to stay in Chianti (I met a couple who always went to Radda in Chianti for rest, relaxation and romance) and then soak in what's around you. More popular and larger towns like some mentioned above have very restrictive and limited access to cars (the ZTL; you need to read about it). Good luck on all of this.

I worked in Tuscany and was happy, but there's an awful lot of good stuff in Italy.
Jul 12th, 2019, 02:59 AM

https://www.agriturismo.it/en

I missed out giving you that sensible link above.
Car hire in Italy is a bit special, I'd use AutoEurope, as a broker you get a good price and you are less likely to be hooked into one of the scams that sits in this industry/country.
Jul 12th, 2019, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuscanlifeedit View Post
Nice and simple might be starting in Florence, see some art and tourists, churches and shopping, then get to a rental car (airport is a good choice) and the head down the Chiantigiana. Explore some lovely places to stay in Chianti (I met a couple who always went to Radda in Chianti for rest, relaxation and romance) and then soak in what's around you. More popular and larger towns like some mentioned above have very restrictive and limited access to cars (the ZTL; you need to read about it). Good luck on all of this.

I worked in Tuscany and was happy, but there's an awful lot of good stuff in Italy.
I was reading about the ZTL - HA! Looks like a tourist trap. Basically it seems that I'll get a ticket no matter what lol
Yes we will start from Florence and move around as suggested by bilboburgler.
https://www.agriturismo.it Looks promising with some really good deals. I should have looked at it earlier. Also I browsed around and found this one as well https://noy-italia.co.il/ (mind you it's in Hebrew. My fear is that I'll get scammed somehow, so this site offer to pay after the vacation is over which isn't bad) but saw few very basics villas for less than 300 euros.. So I need to do some risk-assessment
By the way, I was start wondering - Are the Italians are using the same ways to find cheap villas to rent? Or they have their own booking kind of thing?

Jul 12th, 2019, 07:06 AM

I think you are getting hung up on the villa part. Most travelers renting a villa are larger groups, even 2 couples, and are splitting the costs. You probably do not need a 3-4 room house for your vacation. Many Agriturismos have 2 room apartments, with a bedroom, sitting room and kitchen. Add a patio with a view and you are going to be so happy. Check out Sant’Antonio outside Montepulciano, it is a lovely property.
Jul 12th, 2019, 07:16 AM

Where you are looking for is either Pienza or San Quirico di Orcia, the stuff of the films that you have seen.

Very romanatic and you will struggle to find a large place for that budget. There are plenty of options on Homeaway or AirBnB.

Plough through the options, post some links of villas which you like the look of and either I or Bilbo will let you know what you think.

Its 8 years since I went to Tuscany but went many, many times previous to that. I fell out of love with the Italian approach to life, I’ve just had a mid life crisis and bought a 1960s Porsche, I’m ready to tow it down to Pienza for a few weeks next summer and be romantic again. After just passing our 25 wedding anniversary, having sex might be asking a bit much !
Jul 12th, 2019, 07:41 AM

too much info
Jul 15th, 2019, 06:30 AM

So this may or may not be what you had in mind. The other posters on this thread have a ton more Italy experience, but if you were looking to stay near Florence, there is a place called Art Hotel Agape. We have booked it for this October. Unfortunately, since we haven’t stayed there, I can’t review it for you. It presents itself as a Villa with olive trees, Italian Garden, etc.
https://villaagape.it/en/rooms/rooms...CAAEgL51PD_BwE

We liked the idea of it being close enough to the sites of Florence, hopefully having a Villa feel, and was within our budget for lodging for 4 people.
Jul 15th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Regarding finding villas, we used this Italian company and rented this house outside of Montisi, just north of Pienza. Small, simple house with pool and gorgeous views.
https://www.emmavillas.com/en/countr...4/details.aspx