Reload this Page >

Villages of Burgundy

Search

Villages of Burgundy

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Janet

Villages of Burgundy

What are the prettiest little villages in the Burgundy area of France?

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:55 AM
jessie

Am also going to Burgundy this summer and looking for "quaint" villages. Someone out there must have some favorites.

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Julie

Vezelay is one of my favorites. It has winding streets with lovely artist boutiques leading up to a wonderful romanesque church. You know how, after a while, all the cathedrals sort of blend together. This one stands out. It's austere but lovely. In the nearby (less than a mile) village of St. Pere sous Vezelay is the wonderful hotel/restaurant of Marc Meneau, L'Esperance. We followed its success from 1 to 2 to 3 stars and now back to 2. I had there the best single food experience of my life--their fois gras in little croquettes. You are instructed to pop the whole thing into your mouth, keep you mouth closed and bite into it. The goosh of warm fois gras and butter streaming into your throat is nothing short of spectacular.

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Janet

Jessie, I just logged onto the newsgroup Recreational Travel Europe and did a search of Burgundy Villages. It pulled up pages and pages of detailed suggestions for quaint little towns in Burgundy. Janet

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Gregg

Janet-could you please list the web site address you mentioned? Thanks

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Janet

Gregg: It's not a website. It's a newsgroup that you subscribe to, and it's free. The Recreation Travel Europe is invaluable because you also get answers from people in Europe. I belong to the newsgroup but don't remember how I subscribed. (I'm not very computer Savvy). I get it through google.com. You can go to google.com and click on groups. They have questions there about reading the newsgroups. I just looked at it but still couldn't figure out how to subscribe. (My friend has been asking me the same question). Perhaps some Fodorites can help. I just posted a question asking about it. Janet

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:24 PM
mimi taylor

23 miles south of Lyon is the enchanting medieval fortified village of Perouges quite unlike anything in this region. It's a protected national monument. We dined and slept at the Ostellerie du Vieux-Peruges. The restaurant is a 13th century house.

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:08 PM
xyz

Beaume!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 10:53 AM
ita

I am also visiting Burgundy . Does anyone know how to access this "recreational travel group"?

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Michael

Check out this web site:http://www.villagesweb.com/divers/selecbeaux.htm<BR>It lists all the villages officially designated as &quot;un des plus beaux villages de France&quot; by area, of which Bourgogne is one. To that I would add Montr&eacute;al and Semur en Auxois.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 07:48 AM
burgundylover

Auxerre - check out the skyline at night from the opposite bank of the Yonne River<BR><BR>Villeneuve-sur-Yonne - quiet and lovely architecture<BR><BR>Sens - wonderful museum next to the cathedral

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:11 PM
borgogne!

Yes, Vezelay is truly beautiful. Highly recommended. Beaune is nice too, a tad overcrowded for my taste. If traveling by car i recommend Thomas Cook BURGUNDY AND THE RHONE VALLEY. Many great side trips and excellent maps.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Betty

Vezelay is our absolute favorite village in Burgandy - probably in all of France! We have been there twice and hope to go again. The Basilique Sainte-Madeleine (877 A.D.) is wonderful. We were fortunate to be there for vespers - so beautiful!<BR><BR>I would recommend the book, Discovering the Villages of France, by Michael Busselle. In addition to Vezelay, he recommends Druyes-les-Belles-Fontaines (a charming little village), Flavigny-sur-Ozerain, Chateauneuf-en-Auxois, Epoisses, etc. The book has beautiful pictures, as well as good descriptions of the villages.