Villa Serbelloni or Villa D'Este

Nov 18th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Kay

Villa Serbelloni or Villa D'Este

I am trying to decide between Villa Serbelloni or Villa D'Este. It seems Villa D'Este is the better maintained hotel, but its location is not as good as the Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio. Has anyone stayed at either or both? I would appreciate your help. How long is the boat ride from Como to Bellagio? Thanks. Kay

Nov 18th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Patrick

I agree that Villa D'Este is not as convenient for touring the rest of the lake, but frankly if I were spending the money that it costs to stay there, I don't think I'd want to leave. It is a true destination in itself.

Nov 18th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Rex

I have not stayed at either, but I have had dinner at both - - and I would cast a vote for Villa d'Este. As Patrick correctly indicated, Villa d'Este is a destination in its own right. The GH Villa Serbelloni is a big fancy hotel, but you would be drawn out into Bellagio (and you will want to spend a full day - - or two regardless) and not enjoy your room nor the facilities in the hotel (that you are spending so much on) as fully.

A leading reason to stay at Villa d'Este is the entire (western) coast region of Lake Como. With a budget luxurious enough to include either of these hotels, you are going to want to have a car, surely - - and there are plenty good reasons to go exploring all of the area from the town of Como up to Menaggio (and beyond). You abslutely should take in Villa Balbianello - - I'm sure either hotel can arrange the launch to take you there (midway between Villa d'Este and Menaggio).

I don't know how long the ride is from Como to Bellagio by water. By road, Cernobbio is about 25-35 minutes from Menaggio, and the ferry from Menaggio is 6-10 minutes (plus 2-20 minutes in line to get on it).

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 19th, 2001, 05:53 AM
dan

Rex,

Can you tell me about dining at the Villa d'Este? I'm probably more interested in lunch than dinner, and I think we would prefer an outdoor dining setting. Is there more than one dining area? If so, which do you prefer? Would you have a ballpark estimate of the cost of a typical lunch? How dressed up would I need to be? Is it possible to tour the grounds without having lunch there? If so, do you have to arrange this in advance? Do they allow you to roam on your own, or must you take a tour?

I'm sorry for jumping on you with so many questions, but I haven't been able to find these answers anywhere.

Nov 19th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Kay

Thanks to everyone for your help! To answer Dan's question, Villa D'Este has a web page, www.villadeste.com. They have several restaurants. From what I have researched, a jacket is only required at dinner. I do not enjoy long drawn out dinners and will probably go for lunch there as well. Thanks again. Kay

Mar 10th, 2002, 10:08 PM

topping

Mar 11th, 2002, 09:20 AM
glsebs

I have stayed at both and would definitely choose Villa D' Este...one of the most lovely places we have ever stayed and the service was exceptional!

Mar 11th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Kay

glsebs, Thanks. I did choose Villa D'Este and am looking forward to staying there in May.