Reload this Page >

Theater seating in Florence question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Fairhope

I bought tickets online for an opera in Florence.(very easy!!) The diagram of our seats shows them together but they are numbered 1S and 3S in the confirmation. Do Italian theaters use even numbers on one side of the house and odd on the other?

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, very often just like here in the US and England and elsewhere.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Fairhope

Thank you--you can tell I don't do theater often but I could not resist. The tickets were inexpensive and the process was easy.
For those reading there is a massive event schedule for Florence at http://www.firenzeturismo.it This how I found out there was a marathon
scheduled while I am to be in Florence.
Patrick again - will there be taxis outside after the performance? It is an afternoon schedule.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 04:59 AM

I go to the theatre a *lot* (52 shows during this year's Edinburgh festivals !) and I've been to the opera in a few places on the Continent and I've never come across this.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:47 AM

The odd and even numbers are especially common on the side sections. Often the center section is numbered 101,102, etc., the right section is 2,4,6 etc. and the left section is 1,3,5 etc.

With more and more continental seating -- no center aisles, theatres are often now starting in the center with 1 or 101 and going odds one direction and evens the other working out from the center. In that way, everyone knows that if the are in odd seats they go to the left, and in even seats they go to the right, or vice-versa.