Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Villa rental: Umbria or Puglia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/villa-rental-umbria-or-puglia-859194/)

eleanorw Sep 13th, 2010 05:16 PM

Villa rental: Umbria or Puglia

Does anyone have experience with agencies or specific properties? We're starting to dream about/plan for 3 weeks next summer for 2 families. Thanks

bobthenavigator Sep 13th, 2010 06:57 PM

Look at reviews at slowtrav.com
You will have many more options in Umbria and the access is much better.

Jean Sep 13th, 2010 07:22 PM

These are such different areas in almost every way. How/why did you select them? What are your plans? Stay put or explore?

lks6671 Sep 14th, 2010 03:41 AM

I have rented villas in both places, and as Jean says - they are completely different.

Umbria was a much busier holiday for us, due to the fact we really wanted to see so many of the nearby towns and what they had to offer (Orvieto, Spoleto, Todi, etc etc). We stayed at a property called Villa Diana, which was near to Todi. The house had 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, laundry facilities, amazing kitchen, and swimming pool. I must say, that while we really enjoyed the space a house offered (and this one was lovely) along w/ the amenities - we left feeling like we never really had a day where we just relaxed. Of course that was our choice, but I for one found it hard to sit by the pool when I knew that in an hour I could be visiting Assisi and all its amazing sights. And of course there was the shopping opportunities...

However, we recently just returned from 2 weeks in Puglia. This time around we rented a trulli thru purepuglia.com. This is the perfect place to relax, for my money. We were able to get a direct flight from London-Brindisi (not so easy I realize from other parts of the world), but I think the drive from Naples would be about 4 hrs or so?? The weather in Puglia is very very reliable in summer - hot and sunny. Either a swimming pool or very very close proximity to one of the many beaches I think, is a necessity. While there are many beautiful little villages/towns in this area for sightseeing, something about it just screams relaxation. And, I listened - and so did my husband and children. Overall, we found Puglia to be much more cost efficient as well. When we did eat out (which was rare - we just simply could not pull ourselves away from our pool and trullo) the cost was less than what we have encountered in other parts of Italy.

IMO, Jeans comment about 'stay put or explore' sums it up perfectly. Stay put in Puglia, explore in Umbria is what happened to us. Both amazing.

eleanorw Sep 14th, 2010 05:10 AM

Thanks! I'll check out slowtrav and purepuglia, Villa Diana is pretty much exactly what I was picturing.
Yes, I understand Umbria and Puglia are entirely different, we've travelled in Umbria and think we'd prefer a puglia vacation, but I'd be fine either way (and I'm really good at relaxing!).We're planning with another family who've been to neither and are leaning toward less sitting and more sightseeing, so for now we'll explore both.

sfjazzrandall Dec 30th, 2010 09:12 PM

check out villapizzorusso.com

iris1745 Dec 31st, 2010 06:41 AM

We stayed in this villa in Montefalco. The villa has a cottage for eight people. Look for La Casetta. Has a kitchen and A/C that you will need in the summer. We had a great week there and thought the villa had a good location for both Umbria ans some of Tuscany. You can check the reviews on trip advisor on their site. The cost per week was very reasonable. Richard www.villazuccari.com