Villa rental in Umbria & Tuscany

Nov 14th, 1999, 08:56 PM
Stephen Yip

Villa rental in Umbria & Tuscany

Hi all:

I would like to know if anybody out there have had any sort of experience (good or bad) with renting a villa in the Umbria and Tuscany regions. We are planning a trip in September of 2000 for a three week trip. Thanks.

Stephen Yip, M.D., Ph.D.
Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Nov 14th, 1999, 10:19 PM
Rex

Dr. Yip,

I will be glad to share with you my experience renting an 8 bedroom villa (very low cost) last summer (1998).

It met our needs very well, but many people might consider it too isolated - - over an hour for almost any of the places we wanted to go on day trips.

More recently, I have had limited experience researching villas for a future trip with a guy named Larry Hasse who has a terrifi web site www.domani-usa.com - - I have stayed in one of the properties he lists there (not actually in Tuscany or Umbria) - - Castello di Orvinio in the Rieti province just about 1 hour east of Rome (south of Umbria). This region, also known as Sabina is very much undiscovered and NOT so much filled with the art trasures of Tuscany. Still very cool, though.

Feel free to write me if there is any additional info I can share with you.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 15th, 1999, 06:27 AM
elizabeth

Hi Stephen - we have rented villas in both Tuscany and Umbria with great success. In general we've been able to find a nice, very private (a requirement of ours) villa within walking distance of a small town (another requirement) for approximately $100 US/day. Our previous European holidays consisted of driving and renting hotels/gites for 2-3 nights - renting a villa and staying in one place for a week is quite a different experience. We found we really got to know the area, and while we had intended to go far and wide on day trips, our world tended to get smaller and smaller as we explored "our" town and surrounding area.

You may also want to consider an "agriturismo" - a working farm with apartment accommodation and meals (if you wish). We've stayed at several and found them to be an interesting complement to villa rentals. You have the services of a hotel (albeit somewhat limited) but the space and privacy of apartment accommodation. Plus the working farm is usually very interesting. They also tend to be a little less expensive than villa rentals (for a party of 2 at least).

Please e-mail me if you would like some more information, or web sites.

Regards

Elizabeth
Toronto, Ontario

Nov 15th, 1999, 06:38 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Dr.Yip, There are more than 1200 rental
properties in that area---it has become
a big business. You will want to narrow
your search based on these citeria:
to select their best option. Contact me
directly if you want more details.

Nov 15th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Beth

We rented an apartment in Chiusi through the Parker Company (www.theparkercompany.com). I wasn't 100% happy with my choice of villa, but I was completely happy with the service offered by The Parker Company. And they have a ton of choices, with lots of pictures and description at their web site.

Nov 15th, 1999, 10:35 AM
Ismael Libanio

Let me explain our experience, that we liked very much:
Le Meridiane ís a villa in Siena. It could suit you.
>>My wife and I have been at Le Meridiane, for a week, last year.
>>We liked it very much. The accomodations are very clean, large (you can
see the bedroom where we slept at the website), comfortable and has all
amenities. It has all cooking facilities and we had many meals at home.
There is a good view to the gardens with many olive trees and to a valley
with a avenue. It is located at the outskirts of Siena, fifteen minutes by
car to the Centro Storico and very near to the auto-route to Florence.
>There is a small grocery store nearby and a supermarket (COOP) a ten
minutes ride near the railstation.
>>The street, with many houses, ends at a cul-de-sac at Le Meridiane in a
small plaza where you can park your car. We had a car (leased from Renault
in Paris) and we've made many trips to the Chianti Region and south of Siena
(Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, Sinalunga, etc.). Twice we went to
Florence (50 minutes by a no-toll auto-route). La signora Ana, who is in
charge of the villa, is very helpful and lives in another house nearby. I
looked for the website and I found it:
http:www.rpilo.it/meridian/meridian.htm
>>I'm a travel consultant and retired doctor in Belo Horizonte (Minas Gerais State) in Brazil
and I'll be glad to give more informations.

Nov 15th, 1999, 02:25 PM
Judy

We rented a villa in Umbria, near Umbertide, through Suzanne B.Cohen & Associates, located in Augusta Maine (!), fax number 207-622-1902, phone: 207-622-0743. We could not have been more please with their service, and we've rented places in Italy and France before, so know the variety of rental agencies. Suzanne's operation is meticulous in offering only places they actually stayed in, and know intimately. They're completely open and honest about each detail, and if you're fussy, as we are, about details like reading lights, and working kitchens, etc. they can and will help you. They have lots of places in Tuscany, and a few in Umbria.
Best,
J

Nov 15th, 1999, 04:32 PM
pat

to elizabeth at [email protected]

I cant seem to email you; I am sure it is something I am doing wrong as I am new to this mode of comunication.
I am wanting to rent someplace next spring for one month. Am one person and seem to only be finding large properties. Can you give me any help ? I would really appreciate it.
Pat

Nov 15th, 1999, 05:39 PM
elizabeth

Pat - I received you e-mail and replied - let me know if you received it, otherwise I'll post it here.

Elizabeth