Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Villa rental in Tuscany or Provence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/villa-rental-in-tuscany-or-provence-218973/)

Hilary May 10th, 2002 09:55 AM

Villa rental in Tuscany or Provence?

Hi there,<BR>My husband and I and another couple are trying to decide where to rent a villa next May (for one week)--Tuscany or Provence? We are open to either place, but would love to hear back from some of you as what towns should we see and things to do in and around Tuscany for a week? Vineyards, shopping, restaurants, churches, olive oil???What town would you rent a Villa? Any good rental companies?<BR>Many thanks for your input!

monica May 10th, 2002 10:04 AM

Check out www.slowtrav.com a website dedicated to this type of vacation. They have lots of great recommendations & resources.

xxx May 10th, 2002 11:28 AM

Try The Parker Company.com -- they have a great catalogue and are knowledgeable.

FLJudi May 10th, 2002 11:31 AM

We're leaving the beginning of June for both places - renting a villa for two couples in Provence (in Eygalieres) for a week and then driving to Tuscany to rent a villa for another week (in Barberino val d'Elsa between Siena and Florence.) We checked several internet sights and found our listings on www.VRBO.com. Here you deal directly with the owner. I can report back in late June about our experiences. We had such a good time driving around Provence and the Cote D'Azur for two weeks last year that we're back for a longer trip this year.

MC May 10th, 2002 12:04 PM

Hilary,you should look at www.tuscany.net<BR>there's a lot of villas for rent all over tuscany (you can choose the area you are interested in).<BR>I rented with them last year.<BR>Have fun !

ingrid Jul 2nd, 2002 08:21 AM

Judi,<BR>can you let us know about your experience with the vrbo?

canuck Jul 2nd, 2002 09:26 AM

We spent a week in Provence and a week in Tuscany...very do-able. We rented the place (2 bed./2 bath house with pool)in Provence thru Vacances Provencales out of Toronto (Mas Phyllis was the house. We've rented thru both tuscany.net and Bella Toscana and had great luck with both. Bella Toscana we rented a nice apt. called Fattoria Il Piano just outside San Gimignano and last year rented apt. with tuscany.net just south of Florence. All great places and reasonably priced.

FLJudi Jul 2nd, 2002 10:05 AM

Just returned from our trip to Provence and Tuscany and can report that the rentals we arranged through VRBO were great - large houses that are usually lived in by the owner, so are equipt with all the necessities of home. Locations were excellent.In Provence we stayed in a restored stone farmhouse outside of Eygalieres, a darling little town near St.Remy. It was easy to travel anywhere - one day we did the wine loop North through Vaison la Romaine, another day a trip to the coast to visit Cassis. The towns of Gordes, Bonnieux, Lourmarin, etc. are easy drives, as well as Arles, Avignon, Aix. <BR><BR>The villa in Tuscany was a reconstructed and modernized part of a medieval borgo (like a castle). The views out of the windows over the Tuscan countryside were to die for. House had gorgeous grounds and pool - which we loved after the very hot days in the Tuscan sun. We were about midway between Siena and Florence, and day trips were easy to all of Chianti. Visited Siena, St. Gimignano, the wine route, Monteriggione, Volterra. Loved Castellina in Chianti where Dean regularly stays (see his Toscana suggestions).<BR><BR>Working with the owners directly through VRBO was very easy - no middleman. Any questions I had were always answered, the payments worked easily, both owners were there when we checked in and were available by phone if we needed them.<BR><BR>Wouldn't hesitate to do this again.<BR><BR>Judi<BR><BR>

ingrid Jul 2nd, 2002 02:38 PM

Judi,<BR>thank you so much for reporting back. I think I found the provence villa you rented. Also am intereste din one of the other ones (the one with the "Givenchy" kitchen) in Bonnieux(?) Also, thanks to cannuck for the Toronto website. Will check it out in more detail later.

Tammy Jul 6th, 2002 05:46 AM

Judi,<BR>What is the name of the villa in Tuscany?

FLJudi Jul 6th, 2002 06:13 AM

Tuscan villa is called Villa Chianti, VRBO listing #5824.<BR><BR>Judi

Tammy Jul 6th, 2002 06:21 AM

Thank you Judi, <BR>Do you have a website for VRBO?

Tammy Jul 6th, 2002 06:26 AM

I found it.

laura Jul 8th, 2002 02:49 PM

Hilary-Last summer we rented a villa outside Lucca. It was charming and only 400 US dollars a week for 5 of us. We went through www.knowital.com and everything worked out great. From there we could easily get to Siena and Cinque Terre. If you want anymore details you can contact me and I'd be happy to help.<BR>Laura

donna Jul 8th, 2002 04:40 PM

Hillary - I am renting a villa on the Amalfi Coast in September. We used www.internetvillas.com. They had a great selection in all prices ranges. I am sure they have vilas in Tuscany, too. Good luck