villa rental? france or italy?

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 04:34 PM
susanne

villa rental? france or italy?

we would particularly like to hear from Bob the navigator about any suggestions he might have for a villa vacation rental in August 2000 in either France or Italy. we didn't take his advice last year and went to the algarve, and had a great time I might add. we are now searching for a place in either france or italy to meet our daughter, son-in law and grandchildren who live in Germany. we would prefer someplace within an 8-12 hour drive from the nuremburg area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 08:53 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Buon giorno Susanne, Well, my first idea is that northern Italy will be alot
easier to get to than France. It is an
easy drive over the Brenner Pass from
Bavaria, but you have to decide how far to go after that. The Lake Garda area
may be a good option especially for the
kids. Or, you could go as far as parts
of Tuscany---Garda will be about 6 hours
from Nuremberg and Tuscany about 8 hours. Tell me more about the criteria.
Do you want one location for a week?
This is August and many of the resort areas will be crowded---Garda is a mecca
for German tourists but is lovely and
does have the biggest amusement park in
Italy. Lots of choices--contact me
directly if you want.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 06:22 PM
Rex

Since Bob is making a plug for Italia, I guess that leaves it up to me to defend La Belle France.

Based on www.euroshell.com, it is 11 hiurs and a quarter (within your circle) from Nürnberg to Apt, France (the heart of the Luberon.

You can find about a half jillion rental properties there, thanks in part to Peter Mayle. Start with www.francevillas.com and knock yourself out. Christine in their rental office there speaks very good English.

Rex
www.allexperts.com

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 11:11 AM
susanne

spent most of yesterday researching locales and villa rental agencies in both italy france. looked into lake garda but it seems that the last week of august has the europeans on the move and nothing appears available. since we have no knowlege of where to even begin having never been to anyplace but Paris and Rome, it makes a choice of location more difficult so I am really counting on suggestions from all the Fodorites out there. I have just ordered Fodors books on the Tuscany and Provence areas
so I can at least educate myself a little. Looked into the italian riviera, i.e. Rapallo, positano and my sister told me there are some nice beaches in the St Jean cap ferrat area. Any input is much appreciated.

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 11:13 AM
susanne

ps- one week, one place