Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Villa/hotel in Umbria - your vote matters!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:46 PM
n

Okay, you helped me decide where to stay in Positano (Buca di Bacco), then persuaded me to go with Certosa di Maggiano in Siena, now, need your help on the final leg of our dream trip: Umbria. Here are the choices:
La Badia
Villa Pambuffetti
Palazzo Terranova
Santa Maria Degli Ancillotti
Criteria: elegance, ambiance, service, authenticity, pure romance. Ready, set, vote!!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:27 AM
paul

A vote for Pambuffetti.
My wife and I stayed there November 2001 and enjoyed it enormously. The setting is spectacular, our windows looking out over a broad sweep of the valley far below. I think the grounds, in nicer weather, must be very fine. Montefalco (five minute walk away) is a beautiful ancient hilltown. The local wine (sagrantino) is rich and potent. The service was attentive. The rooms were elegant. Not sure what "authentic" means here, but it was authentically itself. The building is not very old, 19th-century I think.
This vote is a vote for Pambuffetti, but not against the other places, which I have not seen.
Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:27 PM
n

Thanks for your input - that one kind of 'jumped out' to me too!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:45 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Based on your criteria, the Pambufetti is the logical choice. But, I would stay at Ancillotti for natural setting.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:26 PM
n

Ancillotti did seems charming but only pictures I can find show so-so run-of the-mill rooms. Am I missing something?
Pambuffetti seems to have great location, Terranova great rooms, Ancillotti great ambiance, La Bada great setting. How to decide??? *aaaarrrrgggghhhh*