Villa/Gite in St. Remy (Provence)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I (and our toddler) are looking for a villa/gite to rent in or very near St Remy (Provence). Would prefer something in the town so we don't always have to deal with driving if we want to shop or go out to eat. Would like something with a bit of charm but not too cluttered or full of major hazards for the toddler - we watch her carefully but a nice, clean, uncluttered villa would make things easier. Our budget is around $150 to $175 a day.

I looked on Gites de France and did not see anything that I liked - either way too large or not charming. I am working my way through other search sites as I find them, but if you have websites or rental agenceis to suggest rather than individual properties that would be fine, too! Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

No recommendations?? An apartment would also be fine . . .
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Perhaps this thread will help.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ppreciated.cfm
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM

We have made reservations in May to stay at Le Mas de Tourterelles. The price seems to fit your budget and they have an apartment. I don't know your timeframe; I expect our June 1 return will be too late for you. But you might check out the website; it looks great.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 09:00 PM

We stayed for 3 nights last April at the Mas de Tourterelles. It is about a 7-8 minute walk into the center of town. They have several different constellations of rooms in their small Mas. Our rooms were very clean, and quite comfortable and I saw they have a small pool which obviously was not in use at the time we were there. The owners are a British couple who painstakingly restored this old house very nicely. Breakfast was adequate and the price was about 90 Euros per room.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Flame 123, thank you so much for that information. Sometimes the website looks great, but the actual place not so much. Now I am really looking forward to our May stay. Plus we (my brother, his wife, and I) are so happy to hear it is so close to the town center.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM

P.S. I forgot to say that we have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment for about 1,200 or 1,300 euros for a week. But I think it is actually a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment, plus another bed and bath downstairs, which works out great for us. We like having a kitchen so we don't have to eat out all the time. Plus we love going in the grocery stores and markets.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM

You are very welcome geobono.
Just another remark for the OP : I don't believe I would call this place "having some typical French charm", it was sparsely decorated, very clean lines, all in white and off-white, very few knick-knacks, etc. So if you are looking for that, it should suit your purpose.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow, that looks really nice, thanks for all the info! Unfortunately we already made our reservations for a townhouse in the Villa Nova complex, so we can't give this a try (although Villa Nova also looks beautiful and the owner has been extremely nice to deal with). Thanks again and I'll keep this on file for next time!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM

We stayed in Villa Nova in October. Which unit are you renting. The location is fabulous - walking to bakery and cheese shop in 3 minutes - a couple more and you're in the town square. Restaurants are plentiful and really good. Excellent grocer not far away. Market Day on Wednesday is really something to experience. I hope you love St Remy as much as we did. We can't wait to return.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at villa nova, Patay, that sounds wonderful! I can't wait! I don't know which unit it is yet (I have pictures but I don't think I have the unit number), the arrangement is that someone will meet us and show us where to go. Thanks for your post!