Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Villa/farmhouse recommenadtions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/villa-farmhouse-recommenadtions-535201/)

zootsi Jun 8th, 2005 08:27 AM

Villa/farmhouse recommenadtions

We are 4-5 couples looking to rent a rural villa or farmhouse in Tuscany or Umbria for two weeks next spring. Here is what we are looking for:
- Comfortably sleeps 8-10
- Beautiful, quiet, scenic setting, with some open views
- Pool
- Shaded patio for outdoor dining
- Small village within walking or bicycling distance.
- Well equipped kitchen
I KNOW this is what everyone looks for - however, we are not looking for anything palatial.
Lets here some recommendations!

rex Jun 8th, 2005 08:37 AM

I'd strongly recommend spending some time reading at www.slowtrav.com - - that said - - I have always found that time on the telephone with a properties agency was well spent...

I can recommend without hesitation...

www.domani-usa.com
www.rentvillas.com

or

www.regencyintapts.com

One of your biggest decisions/ price determinants will likely be the number of bathrooms - - can you cope with two or three (and "inequality" of lcoation - - i.e., some "ensuite" for one couple, who will inhertently need to share?)

If not, you may need to look for properties to sleep 12 or more. Many properties in Europe are designed such that &quot;sleeps 8 (or 10)&quot; means 4 adults and 4 (or 6) <u>little</u> kids.

And village within walking distance is sometimes an uncommon characterisitic - - of course, you mention bicycling also - - will you take those? Or will you bee making plans to rent thopse locally (in a bigger town? and if so, get them out into the country, how?)

Best wishes,

Rex

zootsi Jun 8th, 2005 10:52 AM

Thanks for the advice Rex - anyone else?

tcreath Jun 8th, 2005 10:57 AM

I don't have any actual advise as I've never stayed in a villa in Italy, but you may want to check out The Parker Company. We are considering a villa for next year and have been checking them out. They will send a catalog with great pictures of the villas they have to offer. Most are gorgeous and there are many that sleep 8-10 and over. If you check out their website you can see what they have to offer. http://www.theparkercompany.com/

Good luck!
Tracy

tcreath Jun 8th, 2005 10:58 AM

Sorry...that was supposed to be &quot;advice&quot; not &quot;advise&quot;...

Tracy

bobthenavigator Jun 8th, 2005 10:59 AM

As Rex said, spend time at slowtrav.com for the best input. I would forget the pool unless after mid-June--most places do not even fill them till then.

Henry Jun 8th, 2005 11:38 AM

zootsi,
Try http://lacrociona.com/ it has everything in your list

lincasanova Jun 8th, 2005 01:36 PM

we stayed at www.cascinacristiana.com
in nizza monferrato.(some say they like this area better than tuscany.. it really is fabulous).

it has a few lovely flats with kitchens and balconies overlooking their vineyards.
an endless pool.
and also some deluxe b+b rooms.

great place.

might give you a little more privacy.

Jocelyn_P Jun 8th, 2005 01:41 PM

lincasanova,

I can't get that link to work.

carolll Jun 8th, 2005 03:50 PM

In response to the recommendation to use The Parker Company, I say: Buyer, beware! This is an old story for me, but perhaps a new one for others.

We were burned by The Parker Co. The house we rented, which Rosalie at Parker claimed had been carefully inspected was: dirty, moldy smelling, unused for some period of time, and lacking a view. This latter point was very important to me, given that my husband is a painter and had wanted at-hand scenes to paint while staying at the house.

Our complaints to The Parker Company which we sent, once we returned home, went unanswered.
Carol L

lincasanova Jun 9th, 2005 03:42 AM

sorry. www.cascinachristiana.com with an &quot;H&quot;.

just looking again at website makes me want to go back again SOON!!
has everthing you asked for. walk to village.. scenery to die for.. and the hosts are really nice.
the apts. were adorable.

tcreath Jun 9th, 2005 06:16 AM

carolll, thank you for your response to the Parker Company. I was the one who posted about that and I'm really glad you shared your experience, although I am sorry to hear about your situation. We have been looking at a few of their villas (as well as suggestions on slowtrav, etc) but your problems with them will definitely be taken into consideration if we decide to go the villa route.

Tracy

suziem Jun 9th, 2005 08:47 AM

Check out www.viatraveldesign.com. We used them for our villa rental for 19 people last August.

We were extremely happy with their agency. Good web site, photos of the villa were accurate, they were easy to reach by phone or email, prompt replies, helpful with pre-trip info and I liked that they are based in the US and prices are in dollars.

Betsy Jun 9th, 2005 11:16 AM

Happy to the max with intuscany.com rental for 10 at Villa nel'Oliveto in April this year. My contact, Rebecca, was on top of everything. Pool was open.

Betsy Jun 9th, 2005 11:19 AM

Oops, posted too quickly. There are several reviews of Villa nel'Oliveto at slowtrav.com. It meets all your criteria stated above. You may email me at betsyatspeakeasydotorg, making the appropriate changes, if you have questions.

carolll Jun 9th, 2005 04:56 PM

Zootsie:
(Cute name!) It occurs to me you might like a place we rented last summer in Umbria. There are two rentals available: one large house accommodates up to eight people and the smaller house, the one we had, houses up to four. The accommodations are extremely comfortable and the decor is lovely. There are two swimming pools and the woman owner is a horse owner and expert rider. Horses can be made available should anyone wish to ride.
Check it out at www.vialba.com The owners are wonderfully friendly, discrete, and live in their own house with two teenage sons.
The property is not within walking distance of any town, however. It is a 15 minute drive along a dirt road just to get to a paved road, but then the closest town, Montone, is perhaps another 10 minute drive.
Carol L

mv_rd Jun 9th, 2005 06:58 PM

We just returned from Tuscany and stayed at the Le Manzinaie (www.lemanzinaie.it) about 6 miles from Montepulciano. It's in a small town called Montepulciano Stazione. The small towns of Valiano and Acquaviva are nearby.

They have a separate 2 bedroom apartment in addition to three other apartments. They seem to have what you are looking for. They have an area where you can eat outside and also have a swimming pool. Our unit had a stove top but no oven. The farmhouse is on 2.5 acres.

We had a wonderful time here &amp; the owners are great hosts. It was inexpensive as well. Marzia, the owner, makes dinner once a week for all the guests.

We paid $489 &euro; for the week after a discount for booking early. I highly recommend this place. We can't wait to go back. :)

Elizabeth_S Jun 10th, 2005 05:57 AM

Friends just returned from this villa/farmhouse and raved about it

http://www.castellodibibbione.com/