Villa Cipressi? Olivedo?on Lake Como

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Annie

Villa Cipressi? Olivedo?on Lake Como

Has any of you had any experiences at these two hotels in Varenna, Lake Como? Also, do you think there is an advantage to have a car there? We will have 4 days, in mid-Sept. Any help will be greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks, in advance.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Julie

All of your questions have recently been answered on other threads on this board. Suggest you patiently comb through about the first 300 - 350 messages here and you should find them. Also do a couple of searches, probably on Varenna and on Lake Como. You'll turn up lots of useful info. From my recollections the answers to your questions are: Several people have stayed at the Olivedo, some liking its quaint, old-fashioned rooms and flavor (and very much liking the proprietor who takes good care of families)and others preferring the somewhat more updated accommodations of another place in Varenna that I can't remember the name of. No good comments about Cipressi (as a hotel that is--fine as a garden though)in fact, quite the reverse. Run down and not clean if I recall correctly. Feelings on car necessity mixed with general agreement that while not necessary (you can take boats and ferries to most places) it does afford more flexibility, and is nice.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Barb

Stayed at Olivedo last Sept. Loved it. Not luxury, but if you like a small, family run hotel, with GREAT food, this is the place for you. Laura was one of the highlights of my trip. She takes very good care of you.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Corrie

We spent 4 days in Varenna at Hotel du Lac (4 star) in October 2001. A beautiful and elegant, little place with about 6 of their rooms facing the water. This is the ONLY hotel in Varenna that is directly ON THE Water. They also served the best buffet breakfast we had during our entire visit to Italy, which we enjoyed every morning in the dining room looking out onto the lake. We had an auto also and the hotel has it's own parking. It was posted to be about $8.00/day, but we were never charged for parking.<BR>Try this: www.albergodulac.com <BR><BR>Just a note, there is a Hotel du Lac in Bellagio and Menaggio also (both 3 star).<BR><BR>Hotel Olivedo was "funky" and we were relieved that we did not book there. It's fine if you are there with kids. We wanted romance. It's directly across from the Boat/Ferry dock, so it can get busy. The restaurant? Any menu that posts the "Rick Steves Special", I steer away from. <BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Barb

Hotel du Lac was elegant, had lunch there, glad I didn't stay there, it was very snooty. We arrived very late (10:30 p.m.) at Oliveda. Laura met us at the door said "go upstairs wash your hands, your dinner is ready". I don't think I would have gotten that kind of a reception at Hotel du Lac. I guess it depends on what kind of an experience you want. P.S. did not see one child at Oliveda.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Dave

hmmmmmmmm "go upstairs and wash your hands"???? That's the kind of experience you are looking for at a hotel? (to each his own I guess)<BR><BR>I think I'd rather stay at the snooty place. LOL<BR><BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Dave

hmmmmmmmm "go upstairs and wash your hands"???? That's the kind of experience you are looking for at a hotel? (to each his own I guess)<BR><BR>I think I'd prefer to stay at the snooty place. LOL<BR><BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Lita

I think Barb is referring to personalized attention, not a<BR>white glove experience. I like to stay in homey places, you get to know the locals better and when you are treated like "family" it makes for a warmer feeling.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Barb

Thanks Lita, you are so right. I might add the little dining room at the Oliveda was very charming, didn't see any mention of Rick Steves on the menu, in fact, had some wonderful food, including breakfast delivered to our table, very graciously every morning. Laura made sure we got our taxi to the train when leaving and gave us a big hug. I guess my idea of a good travel experience is to receive those "special" little touches - too bad more hotels don't offer them. But that's just me . . .