Viking River Cruises in Russia

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 08:30 PM
rudy

Viking River Cruises in Russia

We're considering taking a Viking cruise on the Volga and Svir Rivers in Russia, traveling from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Is a visa necessary when traveling with a cruise tour group? Also, we have been told that we can't board until later in the afternoon. Though Viking will handle transfers from the airport to the ship, how is it handled if we arrive too early to board? If anyone has taken a Viking River Cruise in Russia, we would sure appreciate hearing from you about the good and bad. Thanks.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 12:27 PM
rudy

Somebody, please?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Marty

Rudy: I am almost sure that you must have a visa in Russia, no matter how you are traveling. I've recently been to Russia but not on a cruise. Have you contacted your tour company about this and your other problem about boarding? Most tour companies send this kind of information after you book.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:53 AM
rudy

Thanks for the reply, Marty. I haven't booked with Viking yet, because I wanted to hear about the company and the ships from someone who has cruised with them in Russia. My guess is that they would handle the visas if we booked with them.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Judy

Rudy, We are booked on a Holland America cruise that will take us to St. Petersburg (and a shore excursion to Moscow). We are told by Holland America that we do not need a visa as long as we are on one of the cruise line tours. While I am not big on cruise line tours I am making an exception for Russia. Too much to see in too little time (plus too little English) prompted us to opt for the tours there. Anyway, a call to Viking River Cruises will certainly clear up this question for you. Enjoy, Judy