Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Viewing The Last Supper painting in Milan

Jan 6th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Chris

I'll be visiting Milan in June and would like to see The Last Supper painting at the Santa Maria delle Grazie church. Is it a far walk from the Duomo area or can the church be reached by bus or is a taxi the best bet?

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Walter

Straight line Duomo to the church is 1300M. Also 2 metro stops (Cardorna & Conciliazione) on "Line 1" will get you to ~400m walking distance to the church. Regards, Walter

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:33 PM
MaryC

Wow - Walter, how did you know that?

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Walter

A "Streetwise Milan" map with a distance Scale.
Also I did the trip in the opposite direction, viewed the "Last Supper" walked over the the Cadorna metro stop and took it to the Duomo.
Regards, Walter

Jan 6th, 2003, 05:48 PM
kit

Hi Chris,

You probably know this (I didn't, as I just ended up there!) but there is a process of some sort to see the painting. WE were disappointed that we couldn't. It may be an advance tickets/reservations system that restricts the daily numbers -- I can't recall. But we jsut walked up -- thinking we'd see it -- and were turned away. Again, as I said, you probably have this figured out already. HAve fun~

Jan 7th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Alice Twain

You can also walk the distance from Cadorna to Duomo, using a map you will not have trouble to find your route. The walk takes some 20 minutes at MY pace (I walk pretty fast) and makes you cross an area of Milano that was completely rebuilt during the XIX century. On your way you might stop at Castello Sforzescoto visit some of its free entrance museums (at least visit its art collection that includes the unfinished Pietà Rondanini, the last work by Michelangelo). An alternative walk might be to Sant'Ambrogio church, the original cathedral of Milano, before the Duomo was built. Also this walk takes ME some 20 minutes.

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:11 AM
eljke

The Last Supper (or "Cenacolo") by Leonardo da Vinci is not a painting: it is a fresco. There's a big difference, you know. And yes: you ought to reserve in advance. There is no other way to see the fresco; even after restoration, it is unfortunately still very faded. It's a pity Leonardo didn't stick to the proper fresco technique and adopted a new technique that had not been tested.

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Nancy

You will definitely need a reservation to see the painting. June is a popular travel month, so make your reservations as soon as you can, preferably now or in a few months. According to the "hellomilano.com" website:

Advance booking is obligatory: places are limited. To book, phone 39.02.8942.114. Operators working Mon-Fri 9.00 to 6:00, Sat 9.00-2:00. Operators speak English. The operator will give you a code number and the time of the visit: you actually collect and pay for tickets on the day of your visit, at least half an hour before scheduled time.

PS., if you don’t' arrive early as required, you won't be allowed in. People have different opinions regarding the success of the restoration, but it is a beautiful painting nonetheless. It is a pleasant walk to the Doom, about 30 minutes if you go slow.

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Patrick

And make sure you know what day it is closed. We didn't and although we enjoyed the walk both ways, got there to find it closed for the day. Sometimes pages and pages of notes and preplanning just kind of fall by the wayside when you get somewhere.

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Nancy

It is closed on Mondays. I forgot to add that to my post. Open Tues - Sun from 8.15 am -6:45 pm

Jan 7th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Caroline

We just saw the painting two weeks ago, no reservation necessary. (Of course December isn't high tourist season). We took the Metro and then walked to the Church. Definitely get the audioguide, it will point out nuances you may not get.