Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   View of the Thames / 2 Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/view-of-the-thames-2-hotels-712507/)

Cass67 Jun 12th, 2007 08:42 AM

View of the Thames / 2 Hotels

Hi!

My wife and I are going to London next week and she asked me for two things: since we're traveling with very little luggage (as always), she would like to stay in 2 different hotels in two different areas of London. And the catch is that one of them has to have water view.

What are your suggestions? Just for the record, we don't want to brake the bank.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Cassio

Dukey Jun 12th, 2007 09:04 AM

Depending on your own financial definitions, the Marriott County Hall not only has river views but also a few rooms with balconies which overlook the river (and the London Eye).

Cass67 Jun 12th, 2007 10:13 AM

Thank you Dukey.

I checked their website and they don't have rooms for the dates I need. And also, their prices are above what I'm prepared to pay. Thanks again.

janisj Jun 12th, 2007 10:48 AM

OK - <u>NEXT</u> week? - you will have to get what you can get. Places fill up in June and the best rooms go first. So even hotels w/ some river views likely won't have much to pick from at this late date.

We have absolutely wat would &quot;brake&quot; (or break) your bank - so what is your budget for these hotel rooms?

Odin Jun 12th, 2007 10:49 AM

Swissotel the Howard has rooms with river views

janisj Jun 12th, 2007 10:59 AM

sheessh - don't know what happened there?? Should be &quot;We have absolutely no idea what would . . . . .&quot;

Cass67 Jun 12th, 2007 11:23 AM

Thank you all for the input.

Your observations made my wife reconsider the river view, what makes things a lot easier. As always you were all prompt to help someone in need!

I hope this last minute trip doesn't cause much stress.

Cheers!

wombat7 Jun 12th, 2007 01:18 PM

One other hotel with a Riverview is the Thistle Royal Horsegaurds

noe847 Jun 12th, 2007 08:07 PM

We stayed at Thistle Royal Horseguards in March in a river view room, which did, indeed, have a view of the river through bare tree branches. I'd imagine the view would be obscured by those branches that are now leafed out. We got a nice weekend rate.

Mischka Jun 12th, 2007 09:09 PM

Am I the only one who is going to say that it is a huge waste of time to change hotels?
Well if you must, then you must! :-)

Try
http://www.laterooms.com/

I have been very lucky getting good prices from them.

Good luck, hope you have a great trip.

WillTravel Jun 12th, 2007 09:29 PM

If a river view at a good price is a must, you could consider a couple days outside London at a riverview hotel. Maybe Greenwich or Richmond or some such place. (I guess Greenwich is technically still in London, but whatever.)

crazy4Hawaii Jun 13th, 2007 05:15 AM

noe -

I didn't realize, or had forgotten, that you stayed at RH in March. Did you like it as much as the HI Mayfair? I will be at RH in a few days on the 6th floor with a river view. The trees might obscure my view...

I am doing the hotel changing thing in order to take advantage of two good deals. I don't think we'll mind the minimal hassle involved.

noe847 Jun 13th, 2007 05:38 AM

crazy4hawaii, you don't know because I haven't posted my trip report yet :) I've written parts of it, and hope to start posting it soon. Anyway, what we did was to stay at the HI Mayfair for the first 3 nights. Then we had a 3 night side trip to Cardiff. Upon our return we stayed 2 nights at the RH. I'm not sure what floor we were on - 3 or 5???, but I don't know whether the 6th will get you over the trees. It is a pleasant view anyway.

Here's what I wrote in my trip report:

<i><u>&quot;Thistle Royal Horseguards Hotel</u> [2 nights incl. tax &pound;303]
We had gotten a good weekend rate for a twin room with a Thames view. In early March we could actually see the river through the bare tree branches. Once the trees in the Victoria Embankment got their leaves, however, it would be difficult to see the Thames.

The room came with a huge walk in closet.

Good news for us: this hotel’s wi-fi was T-Mobile, so the account we established at Starbucks worked in our room.

Upsides of the Royal Horseguards: The hotel was quite charming, and I liked our room a lot. Also, it was quite convenient to the Westminster area, St. James Park, Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, and the London Eye.

Downsides: We weren’t at the hotel very much to enjoy it AND I thought the area immediately around the hotel was kind of dead. The Embankment tube station was about 2 blocks away.

On balance I prefer the Holiday Inn Mayfair because I like the neighborhood and the amazing access to the tube (although the Horseguards hotel itself was nicer.)&quot;</i>

Dukey Jun 13th, 2007 05:45 AM

Sigh...if they would only renovate that Holiday Inn in Mayfair! Dynamite location IMO, especially for the Tube and shopping.

crazy4Hawaii Jun 13th, 2007 04:06 PM

Thanks, noe!

Do you think you can get that trip report done before I leave tomorrow at noon? No pressure...

Maybe I should get a T-mobile account at Starbucks in order to get WiFi at RH? How do you go about that?

noe847 Jun 13th, 2007 04:56 PM

You could sign up for the wi-fi at RH, probably. While you're in your room, just turn on your computer and follow the instructions (and have the credit card ready!) You could also sign up while using your computer at any Starbucks - it's all online. It's not cheap, but was worth it for us.

If you give me your email address, I could email you what I have written - it's a bit rough and I am missing the last day in London.

prue Jun 13th, 2007 05:42 PM

Another hotel with a total view of the Thames is the Tower Thistle (which is now called something else I believe) we have stayed there in a river front room several times and have always enjoyed it immensely - so much to see.