Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna Westbahnhof - Hotels and safety (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-westbahnhof-hotels-and-safety-719782/)

Captb93 Jul 10th, 2007 05:02 PM

Vienna Westbahnhof - Hotels and safety

We have plans of staying one night/day in Vienna before we leave at 0900 Hrs the next day from the Westbhanhof. Our plan is to stay near the station at the Ibis Wien Mariahilf or Flemings Hotel Wien Westbahnhof. Both are a short walk from the station. My concern is a few hotel reviews I read commenting on a "red light district" and sex shops in the area.

We also are returning to this area a week later and planned on staying one more night there before catching the Shuttle Bus to the airport.
Should we be concerned? Is the locale safe?

Any comment on the hotels? Fleming is new and very modern, while the Ibis is basic both have A/C which is a requirement. Are there other options we might consider?

TIA
Ed

Operaman Jul 10th, 2007 05:11 PM

We have stayed in this area and have had absolutely no problems at all. Vienna is probably one of the safest cities in the world. We never saw any evidence of it being a "red light" area, if it is we did not notice. You'll have no problems at all, relax and enjoy.

Captb93 Jul 10th, 2007 05:26 PM

Operaman,
Thank you for such a quick response. Can you recommend any restaurants in that area?

Wien is a brief stop for us on our way into Switzerland and we would enjoy some authentic Austrian food. I should tell you that many years ago my wife and I spent a week in Wien at which time we purchased standing room only tickets at the Staatsoper for one mark - 25 Cents -US. I expect to see a very different Wien on this trip

TIA
Ed

bob_brown Jul 10th, 2007 05:57 PM

I stayed at the Alt Wienerhof which is a little farther from the station than the hotels you list. That is a middle class part of town, but we never had any problems around there.

The hotel is a short taxi ride away, or you can take the tram or the U-bahn.
The taxi is the easiest way.

The Alt Wienerhof is a funny place: average hotel, high priced restaurant of the gourmet price range.

Operaman Jul 10th, 2007 06:24 PM

Hi,
I really recommend the Spatzennest, St. Ulrichsplatz 1, right off of Burgasse in the nearby to you Spittleberg neighborhood. Great traditional Austrian at great prices. If you sit outdoors you'll be right next to a very old church.
The Witwe Bolte on Gutenburgasse is in the same area and is very good as well. Both will make for a nice stroll from you hotel. If you have not booked with your hotel yet I highly recommend the Fuerstenhof:
http://tinyurl.com/ydx6xs
Right across the square from the Westbahnhof, excellent staff, great rooms, and a huge buffet breakfast is included...you'll love the old glass hyraulic elevator. Room 40 was our favorite.

gforaker Jul 11th, 2007 04:34 AM

Just got back from a Euro trip and stayed at the Ibis Wien Mariahilf. Rooms were good and the area is very good. The rooms are air conditioned, but the management controls the temp and turns it down at night so the room stays around 75 to 76 degrees. Great breakfast buffet included.

PalenQ Jul 11th, 2007 06:26 AM

Europe's plethora of Redlight Districts, though appearing sleazy perhaps, have never caused me worry for my safety.

Amsterdam could be an exception to this because it's so thronged usually that pickpockets are attracted. But Vienna like above i think must be one of Europe's safest cities.

Captb93 Jul 11th, 2007 09:25 AM

Thanks all for the responses.

Operaman - will definitely check out those restaurants.

gforaker - Can one complain about the A/C? 76 at night would be a deal breaker for my wife. We definetly need A/C and a cool room.
We will be there Sept 6 and Sept 12 - usually the temps should be cool but with "global warming" who knows. We need A/C to ensure that we will have a cool room at night.

Ed

BTilke Jul 11th, 2007 12:38 PM

Another hotel similar to the Ibis a close is the InterCity hotel on Mariahilfestrasse (note the enrance is actually around the corner not on Mhstrasse itself.
I stayed down the street from the Ibis one year and it was fine. Nothing to worry about. I didn't notice any sex shop; the closest I saw to any flames of passion was the fireplace and accessories store near the Ibis. The Ibis is also close to a popular theatre--you might want to check what's playing there...could be something you'd enjoy attending.