COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna to Salzburg -2 Night Stop Recommendation

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Fodorites. We will be spending 9 nights in July in Austria- 5 in Vienna, 2 in Salzburg and 2 more somewhere in between. We will be renting a car for these 2 days. We need some advice on a town that offers hiking opportunities, vistas of mountains, perhaps a cable car ride, a town for strolling and dining and nice accommodations. Based on my reading of these forums we will avoid staying in Hallstatt because it sounds so crowded. There are so many towns that seem appealing-St. Wolfgang, St. Gilgen, Gosau, Maria Terfl. Any insights on these towns or others would be welcome! Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 08:26 PM

Durnstein for a couple of nights with a day trip to Melk would be nice or St. Wolfgang with a day trip to St. GIlgen, only a boat ride across the lake. Although a lot of people here like St. GIlgen better, I preferred staying in St. Wolfgang as it is a bit larger (still very small) with more restaurants and shops.

i think St. Wolfgang/St. GIlgen many be the better choice. On a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains. Chairlift, steam train, etc.

Last edited by joannyc; Feb 19th, 2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 04:07 AM

For what you describe, one of the Salzkammergut towns would be ideal. We like St. Wolfgang because it is livelier in the evenings (e.g. more restaurants); though St. Gilgen is quite pretty, too. Hallstatt would be a worthwhile addition if you could spend the night and splurge on a lake balcony room at Seehotel Grüner Baum; after the day trippers leave the little village is magical, and dinner on their lakeside terrace equally so.

A little off topic, but you should lay out your itinerary to determine exactly how much time you'll have in each location. For example:
Day 1: Arrive Vienna
Days 2-5: Vienna
Day 6: Drive to Salzkammergut (or wherever). Half of this day, or more, could be spent driving if you decide to stop in the Wachau Valley for lunch.
Day 7: Salzkammergut (or wherever)
Day 8: Drive to Salzburg, drop off car, check into lodging, etc. (a half day could be eaten here.)
Day 9: Salzburg
Day 10: Depart
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by fourfortravel View Post
... Hallstatt would be a worthwhile addition if you could spend the night and splurge on a lake balcony room at Seehotel Grüner Baum; after the day trippers leave the little village is magical, and dinner on their lakeside terrace equally so.
I'm always happy to read this as it exactly mirrors my impression of Hallstatt; so, as long as you're saying it, I don't need to feel like a broken record!

We actually stayed 5 nights in Hallstatt and did day trips since driving was a big part of that trip (did European delivery for a car). From there we went to Gosausee and walked around the lake finding many small water fall streamlets. From Hallstatt you can visit ice caves or the salt mines, and as stated earlier, when the day trippers leave, it's magical. We loved our lake view balcony room at the Seehotel Grüner Baum and 2 nights would actually only be 1 full day in that area. The swans come visit during dinner on the lake terrace at night.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 07:36 AM

I also loved Hallstatt. Spent 2 nights there. But, that was before the Frozen movies came out. I have recently read it is totally packed with tourists these days. They say the village in the movies is based on Hallstatt.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 04:15 PM
kja

Just confirming to make sure we are giving the best advice we can: You plan on only 1 day in Salzburg?
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all- some great advice here!
The itinerary so far looks like this:
Day 1 arrive in Vienna
Days 2-4 Vienna
Days 5-6 pick up rental car in Vienna travel to St. Wolfgang
Days 7-8 Salzburg ( drop off car upon arrival)
Day 9 return to Vienna by train
Day 10 depart

I think we will stay in St Wolfgang for 2 nights. Any hotel suggestions there?
Google Maps shows the drive between St.W and Hallstatt to be 40 minutes. Perhaps we could do a late afternoon arrival in Hallstatt and stay for dinner. That way we avoid the crowds. Is this drive back at night a challenging one?
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 05:30 PM
kja

If I'm reading correctly, you have just over 3 days in Vienna. That might be enough for you; it would not have been enough for me. Likewise, your time in Salzburg is shorter than I would like.

It seems you plan to fly in and out of Vienna -- can you instead arrange and open jaw flight, in one city and out another? That would eliminate one change of hotels.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

kja, I looked into flying in and out of different cities but there were no direct flights to Salzburg from Toronto. I
we can only be away 10 days ( obviously too brief). Perhaps we will eliminate staying in St W, and do day trips from Salzburg.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 06:20 PM
kja

I'm sure it will be delightful no matter what you choose. It will just be difficult to make choices!