Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna to Prague by car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-to-prague-by-car-42267/)

Shawn Apr 14th, 1999 08:11 PM

Vienna to Prague by car?

I am planning a trip to Austria, May 21st-31st. I am planning to visit Prague for three days and would like to drive from Vienna. I like the flexibility that driving offers, but, most of the recommendations I've seen have been for the train. I would appreciate any insight or suggestions. <BR> <BR>I have also seen reports on CNN about anti-American/UN protests in Vienna and Prague. Should this make me reconsider the timing of my trip? Has anyone recently returned from these areas that can share their experience and the mood towards Americans? Thank You

Denise Apr 15th, 1999 02:48 AM

Hi Shawn, <BR> <BR>We just returned from Vienna where my daughter is a high school exchange student. There is some anti-Nato protesting(very controlled). Friends of ours went to Prague also and didn't encounter anything. I recently heard from my daughter and she hasn't said anything further about it. You have to remember that these countries are concerned about the huge influx of refugees. <BR>Denise <BR>

Denise Apr 15th, 1999 02:49 AM

Hi Shawn, <BR> <BR>We just returned from Vienna where my daughter is a high school exchange student. There is some anti-Nato protesting(very controlled). Friends of ours went to Prague also and didn't encounter anything. I recently heard from my daughter and she hasn't said anything further about it. You have to remember that these countries are concerned about the huge influx of refugees. Also, we took a train to Prague (5 hours). By car it is a straight highway (3 hours). <BR>Denise <BR>

s.fowler Apr 15th, 1999 02:51 AM

I'e taken the bus from Brno to Prague [which covers most of your question] and the roads were comparable to American limited access highways. The road we were on goes through a lot of beautiful forestland on the way. I would avoid driving IN Prague: not only the crazy small streets, but the parking will be horrendous. [as well as the possible police shakedown] Vienna is, I am told, pretty rational to drive into, particularly if your hotel is on the Ring. <BR>

s.fowler Apr 15th, 1999 02:52 AM

Morning Denise :) <BR>

jennifer Apr 15th, 1999 05:20 AM

Hi, Shawn, <BR>I took train from Vienna to Prague, it was about 4 hours. I was seriously touched by the beautiful landscape very very much. By driving through will give you the flexibility to take lots of good pictures. You will step out of your car, (if you are not in a hurry)breathe in deeply and slowly, and FEEL the beauty. <BR>We should all take our lives a little slower like the Europeans do. <BR> <BR>What do you think, S. Fowler? :) <BR>

s.fowler Apr 15th, 1999 06:18 AM

I'm a train person myself. And there are certainly tradeoffs. The drive to Prague from Vienna should be an easy one though. As well as a pleasant one. I don't have the road map in front of me, but I assume you can avoid Slovakia.

jennifer Apr 15th, 1999 08:27 AM

Ya, avoid going through Slovakia! I totally agree with you after that night sleeping on the bench of the border police station, being intimidated by the unexplained ambience, experiencing the mental stresses by being locked up in a room, and nobody were smiling or speak a word of English...I suggest to skip Slovakia if you don't have a visa.