Vienna to Paris via Zurich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to drive from Vienna to Paris via Salzburg, Innsbruck, Zurich, and Basel.

I would like to spend four nights and days. Any idea how to spend these days?

Then, I have another leg of trip from Paris to Venice through Geneva and Milan for another 4 days and nights and finally back to Vienna. Overall, I have 15 days from Vienna to Paris and Venice back to Vienna.

Please let me know how to maximize my trip without any spending time on unrelated places.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Sorry, I do not think that somebody can make plans for you.
What reasons you had when you decided your itinerary? What you want to see?

You asked here in Fodors twice the same question and nobody answered. This is because nobody can do your work!

Enter Fodors - destinations, read about each place where you want to visit. Then, based on your interest, make a plan - what to visit and how many days to spend in each place. Take in consideration the driving time.

Then ask again here and I am sure that you will receive a lot of advices.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank Valtor, at least, you responded.

I think I mentioned my plan. I have already set aside four days and nights for each leg of trip.

So, again, my question is how to spend driving time on visiting places between Vienna - Paris and Paris-Venice on the road not to miss the major sites?

If someone has driven this route, most probably, can give me some tips/hints. I understand that the majority of comments come from taking a train and/or a plane and stay in one city.

So, it is obviously a tough case for some to comment on a road trip. I just gave a try to see, if anyone, had done it before. After all, I am just passing by not trying to root in a particular area.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM

I have not made ​​such a journey by car and would not make one.
So I can not give you detailed advice, because your route is so long in so few days.

Vienna - Paris according to your plan is more than 1,400 km (four days), Paris - Venice over 1100 km (in 4 days), Venice - Vienna 600 km.

I would recommend to stay at least 3 days in Vienna, five in in Paris, three in Venice. So, it will remain four days of traveling in total.

You can see Innsbruck on the way from Salzburg to Basel (stop in Innsbruck for few hours). In Salzburg I would stay two days at least, so you can make one day a trip to the lakes. I would not stop in Zurich. Better to Schaffhausen to see the Rhine Falls and in Lucerne, which is a very picturesque city.

Then in your way to Venice stop in Lake Como, Verona and / or Lake Garda, depend on your interest.

However, I do not know when you will have time to see all these! The route is very nice .. but to me it seems impossible in the time you have.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 03:00 PM
ira

Hi HS

>I am planning to drive from Vienna to Paris via Salzburg, Innsbruck, Zurich, and Basel.<

All of these cities are served by a very good railroad system. Why do you want to drive?

>I would like to spend .........
Eight cities in 8 days? You have been reading too many brochures from the "If it's Tuesday, It Must be Belgium" Agency.

>let me know how to maximize my trip without any spending time on unrelated places.
See item 1.

Old Jun 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM

I think you are getting few responses since you trip makes no sense. You are trying to see 9 cities in 15 days. A tour can do this - since the driver drives while the passengers sleep - but they see very little of any of those places since there simply isn;t time.

To drive it yourself and see anything is simply ridiculous. We have done more than 20 road rips in europe - and the list of cities you have would jam pack a month - and cut short major cities. In 5 days you will de doing practically nothing but driving -and do NOT have time to see even the most major sights.

If you like to travel quickly pick 4 cities - no more - and you will still be moving very quickly.

Separately, there is no reasons to do this as a driving trip. The purpose of road trips is to see small villages, be able to stop at random sights or places that interest you - and we never plan on driving more than 4 hours per day. To see just major cities you are better off taking a train - so you can nap between cities and catch up on some of your lost sleep.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all,

I will arrive in Vienna on Monday June 27th from Chicago. I rent a car and stay two nights in Vienna and on Wednesday afternoon heading to Linz to see my cousin. I believe I can leave either Thursday night or Friday morning toward Salzburg.

Although I heard lots about Salzburg, I try to visit it in 4 to 8 hours! (I know it might not be possible), then drive to Innsbruck to spend night.

If it is possible, Saturday I drive toward Zurich and then Lucerne and if possible to spend night in Interlaken or Lauterbrunne. I am just thinking.

Then on Sunday driving to Basel – Thanks Valtor, I am adding Schaffhausen to my plan. The question is if Basel is worth of visiting. Otherwise getting into Paris on Monday night July 4th.

Leaving Paris on Friday to Geneva to visit and spend night there plus half of the day on Saturday. Leaving Geneva on Saturday July 9th. I will stop in Milan and Lake Como as well as driving toward Bellagio and take a Ferry to see the triangle of Menaggio and Varenna. I hope on Monday night July 11th , be in Venice, where I have no any idea what to do with my car.

I am wondering if I can drive to the Island or park it on the main land and get a hotel on the Island? I need plenty of Info on this. Please give me some tips.

And finally leaving Venice on Friday (is not too many days in Venice?). I would like to spend Friday night in Graz, Austria. So, Saturday July 16th, I will be in Vienna to see the rest of its places. And Finally on Monday 18th heading back to Chicago.

Please let me know how to modify this very intensive trip. BUT I have to say that I love driving and there is no any issue at all on that. I have GPS with Microsoft AutoRoute exactly as good as Streets and Trips in US. So, maneuvering around becomes easy.

I have to say that I leave Chicago Sunday at 5 p.m.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 10:57 PM

OK, you love to drive. But what do you do with the car in Paris, Vienna and Venice? To see these cities you have to walk. It is complicated to drive there even with GPS. You have to:
- make sure that the you have where to park near the hotel (and this will be a lot of money)
- know how you reach your hotel by car when you arrive there

So, you will pay for car renting plus parking plus public transportation. Not speaking at all about Venice!

Listen what Ira and Nytravel said! As much as you love to drive, do this in other places, not during this trip. The trains are very good, clean, safe and will make your life easier.
And also, as all of us said, think about eliminate some points from your plan.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 01:17 AM

Okay, I think there are legs of your trip that are easier to handle than others.

Let's start with the beginning:

VIE airport-Vienna
There are many rental car locations in central Vienna. Renting the car at the airport to let it sit in a hotel garage after a 20kms drive is not sensible.

Vienna-Linz
The Wachau valley, Melk monastery or Krems can be waypoints to google and are on the way to Linz

Linz-Salzburg-Innsbruck
Not a problem. Salzburg is a popular day trip destination. Check the city's website to get a picture of what is to see, and make your selection.

Innsbruck-Basel
If you drive in summer/early fall, the route via Silvretta road is very scenic. On the maps it's designated as Hwy 188, veering off main motorway S16 west of Innsbruck.
And/or as suggested Schaffhausen/ Rhine Falls.

Basel
has an international reputation for its arts museums and a nice old town. Check the TI website to see if those museums are interesting for you.

Technical info

Your car will have a motorway toll sticker for Austria, obviously, but you need to buy one for Switzerland to drive on motorways there.

Parking is quite easy in any of those cities.
Just follow the signage for "Zentrum" or "Innenstadt" (both meaning city center), and once there you will see signage for parking garages, usually a big "P" - often with the name of the garage, and a digital display showing in advance the number of vacant spaces.
Saying that it's easy to find a garage should not mean that it's cheap or for free.
In Salzburg, the "Altstadtgarage" is a huge underground garage where you should easily/always find a space. Costs are €2.40 per hour, with a daily maximum of €14. Just to give you a rough idea.
Parking in big cities like Paris should be more costly.

Driving

One major problem with your itinerary IMO is that driving from A to B with seeing something along the way is more or less technically possible. But it does not leave any or much time to see anything at your daily destinations.
For example, driving from Innsbruck to Basel via a scenic route, later along Lake Constance and Schaffhausen, Rhine falls, to Basel is no big issue. But you will end in Basel in the late afternoon / early evening when the museums or any sights will be closed. All you can do is wander around a bit, have dinner, go to bed early, so you can get an early start next morning.

If your plan was to see your cousin in Linz, and then spend 15 days for a loop trip thru the Alps and Northern Italy, I'd say that the car is a great way to see it.
But your itinerary is based on cities which can be reached easier and more sensible by other means of transportation.
As you usually have time to see what is along the route, or what is at your daily destination, but not both.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

I left the nice and sunny Chicago to Vienna n Sunday.

I arrived at 1:30 p.m. on Monday in Vienna and picket up the rental car and drove to hotel. I am staying in IBIS Hetl network. Good clean and relatively good breakfast (not included) for Euro 75 per night. The garage is another 10.5 EUR for 24 hours.

First day at 5 p.m. started walking toward the old town or rather the center town. It took me about 1 hour to get there.

Although the hotel gave me the direction I did not hesitated to ask others on street to make sure I am on my path.

Finally, Opera House and the famous Promenade Kartner Strase. This is a must see place. It is an excellent place to meet people and get to know how nice people are in Vienna.

I will write more.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:57 AM

Have a nice vacation and enjoy!