Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   vienna to mauthausen (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-to-mauthausen-495677/)

niskyboss Jan 15th, 2005 01:12 PM

vienna to mauthausen

I have a little over 24 hours in Vienna and realize that Linz is just two hours by train from Vienna. How far is Mauthausen from Linz? What transportation does one use? Are there any day tours to Mauthausen from Vienna?

ira Jan 15th, 2005 01:20 PM

Hi nisky,

Am I correct that you are not interested in seeing Vienna?

((I))

Boonie Jan 15th, 2005 03:26 PM

Ira, in general I love your posts, but in this case your answer seems a bit summary. My impression is that there must be a very
important (and perhaps sober personal) reason for this poster to want to visit Mauthausen. Perhaps even more important than having a "kapuziner" at the Cafe Central or seeing the confection "Zie Zauberflaute" at the Vienna State Opera.
It appears that the poster needed specific
travel information to this site, which I hope
someone can provide.

ira Jan 15th, 2005 03:29 PM

Hi boonie,

I'm sorry if it seemed too brusque, but I do wish to ascertain if the OP knows why he wants to go to Mauthausen instead of staying in Viennna.

((I))

molker Jan 16th, 2005 06:13 AM

You can take a train from Vienna to Mauthausen. Trip takes about 2 1/2 hours . Example Vienna Westbahnhof ( west station) 8:34 arrive Mauthausen 11:01 with a change of trains in St. Valentin.
Try austrian rail web site

www.oebb.at ( they have english text ) for all trains
return example Mauthausen 15:31- Vienna 17:30

I assume you wish to visit the concentration camp near Mauthausen. This is several miles out of town and can be reached by taxi

Perhaps the easiest way to visit is by rental car as you can then make your own schedule and avoid taxi to and from.
the drive along the Danube from Vienna is very interesting with numerous sites such as Melk Abbey, the town of Durnstein and the Wachau , a wine growing area to see.

Driving time less than 2 1/2 hours , less if you take autobahn to Linz

I do not know of any day tours from Vienna.

niskyboss Jan 17th, 2005 07:27 AM

Thanks you, molker. I was looking for specific travel advice, rather than a lecture. And that's just what you offered. Thanks again!!

porcelina Jan 26th, 2005 08:44 PM

I too am interested in visiting Mauthausen, but possibly from Linz. I hear there is a bus that departs from the city centre? Any extra information such as frequency of the bus as well as how close it actually drops us off to the camp would be much appreciated.

molker Jan 27th, 2005 01:08 AM

A regular bus service runs from linz to Mauthausen. It leaves from the train station in linz. Trip takes about 1 hour. Much faster by train ( 1/2 hour) frequent service. I believe that it will only take you to the center of Mauthausen. camp is several miles out of town. ( west along the river and watch for signs turn right follow rural road to the site.) you should be able to find a taxi.
Try - www.oebb.at for train and bus schedule.

www.mauthausen- memorial.at for information on the camp. some is in english