Notices

vienna to dubrovnik

Jun 21st, 2012, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

vienna to dubrovnik

Planning to drive from Vienna to Dubrovnik in mid October. Mileage guides show 10 hours. From anyones experience is this a straight run or a stop and go trip. Any advice would be appreciated re: any ovenite stopover place along the way
Jun 22nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
kja

I would think 10 hours would be a minimal estimate. (For example, viamichelin says > 11 hours.) Some of the roads will be major motorways - well-designed, well-banked, easy driving. But much of it will be one-lane in either direction with twists and turns and traffic moving at various speeds from slow to ridiculously (frighteningly) fast. And I can't believe that the 10-hour estimate would include rush hour traffic in/around major cities like Rijeka or Split. Even if the 10-hour estimate is accurate, I would not want to try handling unfamiliar roads that really do require attention and defensive driving (and they do!) for that long, particularly on a day that probably will only have 10.5 hours of sunlight.

Too, I personally can't image wanting to do this drive as a straight run - it's some of the most magnificent scenery anywhere! And you'll be going through some areas that many people would hate to treat as simply a place to crash for the night.

If you are committed to getting from Venice to Dubrovnik as quickly as possible, I would strongly encourage you to spread the drive over 2 days. Stopping in just about any of the tourist destinations along the coast will mean adding time to your trip, because you will need to navigate into and out of wherever. And of course, you'll need to make sure you will be able to park your car and get a place to sleep. (As I understand it, some tourist destinations have much more limited lodging and dining options in mid-October than during the summer or shoulder seasons.) You might check options for Zadar - its a bit more than 1/2 way (I think) and near the southern end of a major motorway. And as I recall, most of its accommodations are a bit outside the old town/city center.

Maybe others who know more about the area will chime in. Otherwise, get a good map and explore the internet!

Good luck - and drive safely!
Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

thank you very much

Search this Thread