Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Vienna- the Torte Index and eating out costs

Vienna- the Torte Index and eating out costs

Feb 26th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Vienna- the Torte Index and eating out costs

Travelers to Vienna should be prepared to open their wallets to sit down and eat well. Aside froam the standup coffee bars associated with bakeries and the sausage/pizza/kebab stands which are everywhere, restaurant food is expensive. The Big Mac Index (big mac, fries and drink) stands at about 5 euros.
Breakfast at your hotel will be 17 to 20 euros unless included in your room price. The alternative to what could be an extravagant buffet (or not-depends on hotel) is the local cafe where a modest breakfast can only run 7 euros but escalate quickly since everything is alacarte.
Lunches at a cafe can run 8 to 10 euros if you pick the daily special or "menu". They are not usually on the printed menu but on chalkboards outside the entrance. I found Cafe Diglas a champion with five set price lunches frpm 8 to 11 euros - some with dessert. Drinks, bread and butter are all extra here and elsewhere.
My grandfather would really appreciate the irony that draft beer is cheaper than Coke for equivalent volumes. .30 litre of good draft beer runs about 3.2 euros. .2 litre of Coke is 2.3 euros.
When midafternoon comes and your arches cry for relief, the melange (coffee and steamed milk) will cost you 2.3 to 3.5 euros and the Torte slice your sweet tooth cries for will be 3 to 4.5 euros.
Unless you have a hearty appetite, dinner can be a problem because the Austrians serve enormous portions. We found ourself sharing an entree and having a small alacarte salad.
Vienna eats well and we did too.

Feb 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Hi
You posted this same thing earlier today

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34574549

If you can't find one of your own threads, just click on your own name and it will come up
Feb 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I thought I had lost it since the cat was playing on the keyboard when it vanished into the Europe forum instead of Austria where I meant to put it. Please excuse the double posting.
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:01 PM

that's okay, my cat plays on the keyboard too

Search this Thread