Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna quality restaurants? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-quality-restaurants-371726/)

ManiaK Oct 27th, 2003 05:13 AM

Vienna quality restaurants?

We would like to be informed of good quality, non-touristic, informal Austrian cuisine restaurants in Vienna. Can you help?

ira Oct 27th, 2003 05:32 AM

Hi

We found the Basilisk to be very pleasant. See http://www.tourist-net.co.at/lokale/basilisk/

Operaman Oct 27th, 2003 02:42 PM

Try Gasthaus Hansy http://www.hansy-braeu.at/
They are out near Wien Nord station great traditional food and very much local. If you want atmosphere and excellent traditional Austrian cuisine try the Witwe Bolte in Spittelberg
http://www.witwebolte.at/
it has some tourists but when we were there last January we were the only non-German speakers in the place.

molker Oct 28th, 2003 07:27 AM

The best restaurant in Vienna is Steireck - Rasumofskygasse 2 ( phone 01-7133166) While expensive it is deemed by most to be worth it. Try lunch, less crowded and less expensive. reservations needed.

Also good Fadinger Wipplingerstrasse 29- near Stock Exchange (phone 01-5334341)
Few tourists and excelent menu.

Reintallers- a small local restaurant on Dorotheergasse across from the famous Trzesniewskis- near Graben.
Excelent austrian cooking and good prices.Get there early as it fills quickly with business people at midday and evening. Good wine also.

BTilke Oct 28th, 2003 08:00 AM

While Steiereck has the reputation of being the best restaurant in Vienna, we found the food and service to be just as good (actually a little better) at Restaurant zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer (the White Chimney Sweep). Both specialize in cuisine from the Steiermarck region of Austria. Steiereck is more formal than the White Chimney Sweep (the Sweep has a "slightly" more informal, country decor). The garden room at Steiereck was a little too futzy for our taste, although the main rooms were handsome in a sober way. The wine cellar at Steiereck is large and impressive and they'll let you wander around it if you ask nicely (and if the restaurant isn't too busy). At the Sweep, the staff take the time to explain the different courses and Austrian wines to you and also ply you with lots of freebies--pumpkin seeds (a Styrian favorite), mini appetizers, even a mini dessert. It is one of our favorite restaurants in Europe. We go to Vienna a few times a year and always make a point of dining there.
Another top restaurant is Morwald's, in the Ambassador Hotel (Morwald is the chef's name). We ate there in early September and had a super, but quite expensive meal ($1600 for 12 people; a corporate event that included several bottles of wine and some expensive dishes--foie gras, lobster, etc.). Very handsome decor.
Re informal, I can't think of any of the *finer* restaurants in Vienna that are truly casual. People in Vienna like to dress up (in a conservative way); their "informal" may seem a little dressy to you. The Sweep will let you in with jeans but we wouldn't advise it. Not sure if Steiereck has a dress code (suspect they do), but we'd bet they frown on truly casual clothes.
Finally, for something completely different, try the Sunday sushi brunch at the Grand (formerly ANA Grand) Hotel. It's a must for Japanese expats in Vienna and very popular with visiting Japanese business men/women.
For all of the above, reservations are highly advised, probably necessary.

bettyk Oct 28th, 2003 08:10 AM

We really enjoyed the Griechenbeisl Restaurant. I don't know that you'd call it "non-touristic" but it is full of history and the food is very good quality. The waitstaff were very friendly and it is a little more casual than many of the finer restaurants in Vienna.

Here's their website. It's in English and German.

http://www.griechenbeisl.at/DesktopDefault.aspx

molker Oct 29th, 2003 12:11 AM

ManiaK post was looking for a quality, non touristic restaurant.
Steireck has for many years beenrated the best in Austria by numerous gourmet groups.
The Chimney Sweep caters to tourists,probably due to its location.
In my opinion the two can not be compared as their impartial ratings clearly indicate.

BTilke Oct 29th, 2003 12:20 AM

The Chimney Sweep does not cater primarily to tourists. For one thing, it is closed for a good part of the summer. Secondly, on the many, many times I have eaten there, the majority of diners were Austrian. Moreover, the White Chimney Sweep is mentioned in VERY few guidebooks, none that I have looked at recently. So it's hardly a tourist mecca. The location is about the only reason the average tourist would know about it.
Steiereck is a top restaurant mentioned in nearly every guidebook. It attracts just as many tourists as locals.
We have eaten at both and prefer the White Chimney Sweep.

BTilke Oct 29th, 2003 12:35 AM

FYI, here are two recent Fodorite Chimney Sweep reviews:

(LisaB) At the White Chimney Sweep my husband had a pork dish and I had a beef dish, both were outstanding. I had the pumpkin soup which was very unique and yummy. We had a dessert of chocolate ice cream, pumpkin seeds and pumpkin oil. Would never have thought that combination would be so good. I bought chocolate ice cream at the store last night and will re-create the dessert this weekend. Can't wait.
-----
(RichardDab): Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer, Weihburggasse 4 - (http://www.weisser-rauchfangkehrer.at) This restaurant looked nice and was right across from my hotel so I thought I would try it. It was by far the most impressive and interesting restaurant I ate at. It was also the most expensive. The waiters and bus boys are extremely polite and speak good English. The service here is outstanding. The restaurant was air conditioned and very attractive on the inside. It is all done in honey wood tones and plaid fabrics. Somewhat giving a casual country feeling. There are many whimsical touches which will keep your eyes busy for hours. This restaurant seems to specialize in pumpkin seeds. Every dish I had either had pumpkin seeds or pumpkin seed oil. My appetizer was an arugula salad with a few different types of carpaccio (€6.00). This was a treat and very delicious. Perfectly prepared. My entree was Tafelspitz at €20.00 . Although good, I think I should have ordered another house specialty, after all what else can you do with "boiled beef"? I also ordered a bottle of water (at €9.00 !!!) and a glass of wine @ €7.50 . The wine list here is all Austrian and spectacular. Your waiter will be very knowledgeable and happy to help you select a great Austrian wine to suit your meal. When I had trouble deciding, he gave me a taste of two different wines. Realizing my bill would be high I skipped dessert and coffee. My total bill with tip was €63.50 for 1 person. This sounds like a lot and you are right but... The restaurant also threw in a few extras. At the beginning of the meal they gave a basket full of really delicious homemade breads with a selection of flavoured spreads along with a small cup of roast salted pumpkin seeds. In between each course they gave a little appetizer or treat. At the end of the meal they delivered a small dish of sugared pumpkin seeds and a small tray of sweets. If that wasn't enough, when all was done they cam by with a tray with a gift selection which either included small jars of jams, schnapps, pumpkin seed oil or a small bag of pumpkin seed. A lovely end to a perfect meal. A real Vienna treat. English menu available. Warning : the restaurant will add a €6 service charge to your bill. I guess it covers the bread and freebies. I give this restaurant 4*.

molker Oct 29th, 2003 04:03 AM

Living in Vienna, I do not know of any"locals" that eat at the Chimney Sweep.
Posters should not be so defensive about their eating habits or mode of dress.
Most try to convey information as they know it so people can avoid restaurants that seem to charge 6 euros as an extra service charge

Operaman Oct 29th, 2003 09:10 AM

Molker;
Do you mean Reintallers beisl?
Yes, very reasonable, very good!
Is it getting a little cold over there by now? I enjoyed my Stroh 60 rum during Dec-Jan in Wien, kept me nice and warm.

CharlieB Oct 29th, 2003 12:03 PM

Though I have not eaten at Steireck, I agree with BTilke that the food at "Sweep" was absolutely delicious, and the staff was most friendly and helpful. When we were there last October I did not think it was overly touristic. All the diners (within earshot) were speaking German except for one couple who ordered in English. A Japanese couple setting next to us seemed to know the waitress and carried on a conversation with her in German. I wore a sport jacket(it being October) but no tie. The gentleman speaking English had on khaki chinos an a sweater - so the ambience was informal, but I did not notice any jeans.

cparris Oct 29th, 2003 12:06 PM

I thought Oswald and Kalb was quite good and very non-touristy. The menu is entirely in German as were all of the customers except us. They read the menu to us and when my daughter didn't seem to like anything offered to prepare a chicken dish for her. I highly recommend it.

molker Oct 30th, 2003 01:09 AM

Message for Operaman:
Yes the same beisl-good location near Graben for quick and good food.They had excelent Sturm too, this year.
We had our first snow of the season in Vienna last week.It remains cold and windy.
Time for Strohs.
Are you ever here to enjoy the Punsch stands during December?

molker Oct 30th, 2003 01:21 AM

The October 30 issue of the " News"Austrias largest news magazine contains the latest rankings of restaurants in Austria by "Gault Millau and "Ala Carte" guides.
Steirereck ranks number one in Vienna and number two in Austria.
Chimney Sweep was not even listed in the article.

Operaman Oct 30th, 2003 08:59 AM

molker;
Wish I could be there enjoying some Sturm(and Stroh)right now. Yes, the Punsch, what better when it is a little cold out.There were Punsch stands everywhere I went. I think I liked the Turbo best. All of them near Schwein stands, I think that's a great tradition. I wish I could return this year as well. However I will be there for 3 weeks in August-September to take a German language course at the University. I am already counting the days! All the best from Oregon!

Operaman Oct 30th, 2003 09:36 AM

molker;
Drink a glass of Blaufrankish or Gruner Veltliner for me(maybe a Zipher too). Hard to get that over here. I sure do miss your beautiful city. And I'll really miss not being at the Volksoper for some Kalman operetta's this year. Do you stay in Wien during New Year's? I've never seen such a hugh party as Wien at New Years! We watched all from a restaurant that overlooked Wien in Heiligenstadt where they brought out the Schwein head at midnight for a little luck and good fortune.

molker Oct 30th, 2003 10:27 AM

Message for Operaman:

If you enjoy wine,the 2003 should be a very, very good year. The summer was very hot and dry producing the potential for perfect grapes.Picking was done very ealy in most areas.
We sampled the 2003 Gruner Veltliner in the Wachau last weekend.It was perfect, even this early.
A good Heurigen,without tourists,is Schubel- Auer In Nussdorf.( Kahlenberger Strasse 22) Take Tram D to the end station walk 100 metres uphill on the left.
They have excelent wine and a good buffet.
Wien is perfect for the Holiday time and we stay here- while many Wieners leave for skiing or the sun.
New Years is always special,but too many people and fireworks. Pfarrplatz is perfect as you found.
Some enjoy the New Years Balls. The Ball at the Hoffburg,while large offers good music.
Palais Ferstel has a much smaller (perhaps 200)Ball with good food and music.

You do not miss Kalman at the Volksoper.His work is not included this year.As we now have a new director there this should change next year. All miss the tradition and many have cancelled subsciptions.
The old players such as Nemeth,Forstner etc. must come back in their old roles.
The State Opera continues well and the Director has recently signed a long contract so the quality should continue.
I mention the above as I assume you enjoy the Opera.

Operaman Oct 30th, 2003 11:26 AM

molker;
You have made me thirsty!
Thanks for the tip on the Heuriger. I am always looking for new places you know. Too bad about Kalman. We saw Grafin Mariza last year at the Volksoper, Nemeth, as Baron Zsupan was wild. I hope the programs will all return next year.I can't remember the name of the restaurant in Heiligenstadt it was on the other side of the small church from Mayer am Pfarrplatz. Engelhardt perhaps? We were lucky, we did not have a reservation but they made room for us and we enjoyed a fantastic meal.

molker Nov 1st, 2003 12:27 AM

Re your New Years visit- I do not know another restaurant near Mayer am Pfarrplatz- You refer to that near the Beethovenhaus?
The pig head is a tradition. Hope you had a piece near the cheek- it is supposed to be the best.
Also popular at that time is the boiled pig tail.
The pig is to bring good luck and for this reason you see all the kiosks selling all forms of pigs at New Years.
Tonight, we enjoy Martini Gansl-roast goose. This is a special of Vienna served by many restaurants only during this time.
Also a good reason for some good wine.