Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna/Prague - train and other questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-prague-train-and-other-questions-1658475/)

jilldan Sep 25th, 2018 10:42 AM

Vienna/Prague - train and other questions

Can anyone advise on booking the train from Vienna to Prague and back again? There seems to be a great discrepancy between the cd.dz and the trainline.eu sites? Are reservations in 2nd class important on weekdays? And i see mention of buses, but am not sure why/if we would need for the train?
Also, do you advise booking ahead for any other sites of interest? we're arriving Oct. 10th, spending a week in Vienna and 4 days in Prague. Have booked the opera and places to stay, though need a hotel we need for our last night in Vienna before flying out the next day. Thank you so much!

PalenQ Sep 25th, 2018 12:32 PM

Use the cd.cz site which is said to always have the lowest fare but if trainline.eu is cheaper take it - same tickets same trains - 2nd class can always be crowded so yes make a reservation. www.seat61.com has all the dope on booking those trains - general info trains and what to expect like 1st v 2nd class also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. Buses could be cheaper but a several hour bus ride is never as comfy as a train ride so unless there is a big difference in fares take the train. check 1st class too and if not much more it can be more relaxing.

fourfortravel Sep 25th, 2018 10:09 PM

Do not take the bus from Vienna to Prague. There is road construction in CZ (the Communist "maintenance" of the motorways is taking a long time to fix) and the delays are miserable. As fond as we are of driving to Prague from Vienna for flexibility, our recent trips have been on the train. Even with 2nd class I would make a reservation on a weekday; it's nice not to have to move through the cars looking for a seat, and the extra cost is minimal. Also, bring along snacks and a beverage; the offerings on the train are not exiting.

In Vienna, do try to purchase the Schloss Schönbrunn/Hofburg tickets online; the queues at the ticket desks will be long in October. Also, if the KHM is on your list, they have several combination tickets that are worth considering. The weekly public transportation ticket will not be of use to you (it's Monday to Monday), so you might want to research whether day tickets or timed tickets (to 72 hours) will be the best option. And don't forget to validate your travel ticket!

jilldan Sep 26th, 2018 11:59 AM

Terrific, these are very helpful!

Christina Sep 26th, 2018 12:26 PM

I almost always use the actual website of the rail company, not outside parties. So for the CR, I use their website. It is their rail system, isn't it? Or use the AUstrian website, but it's usually more, CR is usually very cheap. I don't see the oint of Trainline, it isn't their train, unless you cant get the real one to work.

Are you really debating over 3 euro for a seat reservation? It's up to you, I imagine it is not absolutely necessary, if you mean can you probably find a seat without one.

Cesky Rail is 368 czk plus 79 czk for reservation for the 9:10 am on 10/15 for example: 14.35 euro + 3.08 euro
Austrian Rail is 34 euro plus 3 euro
Trainline is 34 euro plus 3.50 euro

Cesky rail is often very cheap from my experience. I just don't know why you'd use trainline.

PalenQ Sep 26th, 2018 12:29 PM

Agree with everything Christina says especially about using one of the train sights of those who run the trains - Austrians or Czech and everyone reports that the Czech site is usually much cheaper - only thing to look for is how you obtain the ticket - usually via email or on phone, etc.

jilldan Nov 8th, 2018 04:11 PM

I just want to thank everyone who helped. We had the most wonderful time -- totally fell in love with Vienna and adored the art and the palaces and the food and the architecture. You were so right about the train which was comfortable and easy and cheap. Took the regiojet and loved that they served water and coffee and fresh mint tea! We could get used to this way of live. Prague was gorgeous but filled with tourists. Still, October was a wonderful time to travel. Thanks again!

PalenQ Nov 9th, 2018 08:24 AM

Thanks for reporting back - sounds like a great trip.