Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna/Prague or Spain in December? Help!

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend has decided to take me to Europe at the end of December for my birthday and New Years (about Dec. 27-4). He is letting me pick anywhere in Europe, but wants to book everything this weekend! We will be flying from New York.

We would like to go to 1 or 2 cities that are pretty close to each other and have good restaurants, shopping, architecture, and maybe something fun for New Years. I was thinking of Vienna and Prague or Spain, but I don't know if a week in Spain is enough time without spending half the time travelling between cities.

I am not worried about a little cold or snow, but would prefer to go somewhere that we can walk around outside without getting frostbite!

Would you recommend one of these two options, or somewhere else in Europe? The only restrictions are that he went to Ireland last year and doesn't particularily want to go to France, but will if my heart is set on it. Thank you so much for your help!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:34 PM

I'd pick Roma and Napoli.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Vienna and Prague are both on the Central Europen plain and have real winters (often below freezing and possible substantial snow).

Southern Spain will be considerably warmer - thought definitely not beach weather. (Madrid is on a high plateau and can also be cold in the winter - thought not so much as Central europe.)

So - if you prefer moderate temps to tour in I would do Andalusia. You can fly into Malaga and between, Seville, Cordoba, Granada, the white towns etc there is plenty to see and do. Car is best to get the most from the trip. Perhaps others who have been there for New Years can give details on celebrations.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Author: nytraveler
Date: 10/27/2006, 08:56 pm
Vienna and Prague are both on the Central Europen plain and have real winters (often below freezing and possible substantial snow).So - if you prefer moderate temps to tour in I would do Andalusia. You can fly into Malaga and between, Seville, Cordoba, Granada, the white towns etc there is plenty to see and do. Car is best to get the most from the trip.

I was under the impression that Vienna and Prague wouldn't get much colder than 30F. Is that wrong?

Also, I think we would prefer not rent a car for the entire trip. If possible, we would like to stay in one or two cities and take a train between. Any changes to your plan?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM

You can check the average temperatures fairly easily, and you might be right about that range. I think that it was Prague that we heard had snow fairly rarely (as opposed to the countryside).

We visited Prague and Vienna for the same week you are considering - twice: 2002 and 2005.

In 2002 we had a freezing precipitation event in Prague which m
made the Charles Bridge nearly impassible. People were slipping and falling right and left.

In 2005, both Vienna and Prague were unseasonably cold and snowy - I think we had snow every day, and temps in the 20's.

The cities were absolutely beautiful in the snow - my photos are great. Scarves and hats were a must, and we made frequent stops at cafes for hot chocolate and coffee. Vienna especially has so many wonderful museums that it's easy to mix indoor and outdoor activities. Both cities have a wealth of classical music/operas.

I will say that after the 2005 trip my husband said that was the last winter sightseeing trip he was making to a cold country - maybe a different story if we were going skiing.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:26 AM

No - it;s perfectly possible to get temps below 30 in both Prague and Vienna. End of December is not as cold as end of Jan/Feb - but it is perfectly possible - but not probable - to get substantial snow and temps below freezing - esp at night.

Remember - this is the edge of the plain that continues on into Russia - and it wasn;t the Russian army that beat Napolean - it was the Russian winter.