Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna, Prague, Budapest and Warsaw in June

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 01:33 AM
Cynthia Hammond

I will be meeting my mother and sister for one week, end of June, in Vienna. Then, will have two more weeks to divide between Budapest and Prague, and possibly Warsaw. Would appreciate hearing from other Fodors' readers about travelling between cities and length of stay (perhaps three cities in two weeks' time is unrealistic, and better to spend one week each in Prague and Budapest and save Warsaw for another trip). Also, any hotel recommendations/experience would be welcomed (hotel is confirmed in Vienna, but now searching for hotels in other cities mentioned). Thank you in advance for your time.

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 04:47 AM
dan woodlief

Two weeks works just fine for these cities. I have not been to Warsaw but have been to Prague and Budapest. For Prague, 3-5 days would be good. I would only stay a week if you want to visit some nearby towns. For Budapest, 3-5 days also would work well. Of the two, I would devote a day more for Budapest than Prague. I preferred Prague, but Budapest is larger, and the sites are more spread out. Unless, you have some specific reason for going to Warsaw, you may want to consider Krakow instead. I have heard a lot of nice things about its old town, and you could visit Auschwitz from there if you choose. It seems to me that Krakow would be more convenient, since it is much closer to the other places you are visiting.

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 06:09 AM
Alan

I also think you might enjoy Krakow more that Warsaw. Been to both three times. More to see in Krakow-very beautiful town. From there it is a short trip to Zakopane in the tetra mountains, which I'm sure you would also enjoy. Trouble with Krakow is that too many people are finding out about it. Salt mines in Krakow also worth seeing. College town with class.

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 11:22 AM
B&B

Dear Hammonds <BR> <BR>Please have a look on our WWW. <BR> <BR>http://www.praguebedandbreakfast.com <BR>From Golden Prague <BR> Charles

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 09:01 PM
Art

If you are interested in history both cities could easily take a week. I spent 6 days in Prague and 7 1/2 days in Budapest. Other than one 1 day trip outside each city they consumed my time. While in Prague I took a day trip to Checky Krumlov, a 13th centry village. In Budapest I stayed in a private flat with a retired chemist and his wife. They had a beautiful view of the city. Dr Fleps had also come up with 11 different walks including the history behind each spot and suggestions for resterents(excellent meals for under $10.00). Get a 7 day pass for the Metro, about $7.50, you can go anywhare on the Metro. If you have any questions send to my e-mail. Have a great trip. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Linda

In Prague we used AVE Accommodations at www.avetravel.cz They found us a great place--Penzion Balbin near the Muzeum Metro & Wenceslas Square. It is on the top floors of an apartment building with a locked door to street so safe. There is an elevator after 1st flight. You get a clean room with skylights, shower & toilet in room, nice English-speaking staff and serve-yourself breakfast. We paid $35/night for 2 two years ago in November. I think it is $85/night in high season. It is a 5-10 minute walk to just about anywhere you want to go. Be sure to see the Charles Bridge at night!! The bakery near Wenceslas statue is very good & cheap. Food, symphony, crystal & garnets are very reasonable. You can take day trips to Kutna Hora, Czesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary. <BR>In Budapest, I agree with Art. We stayed with Dr. & Mrs. Fleps and had a bedroom with terrace view of the city, private bathroom and big breakfast for $40/night for 2. The address is Bogar utca 20b, 1022 Budapest, Hungary. The phone number is 36-1-326-8170. Because the home overlooks the city, you take a bus to the metro & 3 stops you're downtown. Budapest is even less expensive than Prague. Besides the Castle area, there are spas & an island where we didn't get to go. <BR>We are planning a trip to Poland and found that people preferred Krakow over Warsaw. You can take day trips to Zarpane & concentration camp. <BR>It is an 8-hour train trip from Prague to Budapest, but it isn't a bad trip. We got food at the bakery ($6 took care of 2 meals) and had no problems on the trip. <BR>Have a great trip!! You will love both Prague & Budapest.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 07:07 AM
Donna

Linda, <BR>I tried the number you listed and it said it was disconnected. Any other suggestions? <BR>Thanks! <BR>Donna

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 02:48 PM
Linda

I don't know. I received a Christmas greeting and he didn't say anything about a problem. Let me do some checking and you might send a letter in the meantime (takes about 1 week).

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 09:27 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Ms Hammond, <BR> <BR>The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Tables 60 to 96 have your trains. <BR> <BR>If you cover all four cities, I suggest for least mileage the route Vienna, Prague, Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna. Resturant car trains leave Vienna outh at 0725, 0925, and 1125 and take five hours to Prague. The 0925 departure inv0olves a cross-platfoirm change at Breclav, 1025 to 1033: the others are direct. <BR> <BR>You save travel ime if you book sleepers on night trains. So I suggest Prague Hlavni 2105, Warsaw Central 0656. Day trains with restaurant cars leave at 0752, 0906 and 1351. In Prague Hlavni beware pickpockets and luggage thieves. <BR> <BR>Warsaw to Budapest is similar, with a night train with sleepers nd a restaurant car that leaves Warsaw Central t 1950 and reaches Budapest at 0742, or day restaurant car trains that leave at 0620, 0820 and 1020. <BR> <BR>Trains usually with Hungarian restaurant cars (which are good) leave Budapoest Keleti at 0215 (no restaurant car), 0600, 0912, 1050, 1242, 1525, 1700, 1745 (no restaurant car), 1854, and 2140 (no restaurant car), and take three hours o Vienna West. <BR> <BR>After Hitler's massive destruction, Warsaw remain a duller city than Krakow. If you'd like times Prague, Krakow, Budapest and if a phone call shows that your library can't help I'll gladly find times for you. Also, I have on disc a note on night trains in Europe: shall I e-mail you a copy ? <BR> <BR>And in general, please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 09:57 PM
Donna

Linda, <BR>Tried posting here the other night but the site wasn't working. I goofed on the Flep's phone number so I am sure that the one you listed is correct. Sorry for the confusion! I'm blaming it on sleep deprivaton from spending too many nights searching the Internet for information on Budapest & Prague. &lt;grin&gt; Thanks for you help!

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Cynthia

My thanks to all who posted with such helpful advice. Would now appreciate anyone's recent experience in Vienna. (The large int'l acctng firm that hosts my sister's tax conference in June has just this week changed the location to Brussels, as a result of last month's elections and subsequent demonstrations.) As we all want very much to visit Prague and Budapest, we have changed the dates to September, but now I am somewhat concerned about including Vienna. As I am travelling with my mother, I don't want to subject her to any unnecessary discomfort. I've searched through this forum and have not found any negative advisories, and all queries to friends have yielded the same advice that we should certainly include Vienna. So, I would be most thankful to hear from anyone who has travelled to Vienna in the past month. Again, thank you for your time.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Ms Hammond, <BR> <BR>You can look for other advisories from other consuls:- <BR>from Australia on http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice <BR>from Britain on http://193.114.50.10/travel <BR>from Canada on http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/menu-e.asp, under "Travel Reports" <BR>from the USA on http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html <BR>Some experienced American travellers find the American site over-cautious. It is therefor useful to check all four sites. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 12:24 AM
Silvia Rotheimer

Hello Cynthia! <BR>I think you need 3 days for Budapest and 3 days for Pargue. I have never been to Warsaw. Why don't you go toi other places in Austria (Salzburg). Or to Munich??? <BR>Best regards from Vienna <BR>Silvia

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 05:43 PM
steve

I just returned from Vienna and found there to be no problems for a visitor. We were also in Prague and loved it.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 07:55 PM
Peg

Cynthia, if you are travelling around by train, the best value is a East European Rail pass, purchase before leaving home. If you are thinking of travelling overnight and don't want to have to change trains etc. or want to know other timetables use the following URL, <BR>http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/detect.exe/bin/query.exe/en <BR>we travelled everywhere with info from it. Have a wonderful time <BR>Peg.