Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   vienna, lisbon, one day only (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-lisbon-one-day-only-17093/)

Diane Sep 10th, 1997 05:26 PM

vienna, lisbon, one day only

Hello. I posted a message here with the same title on 9/6. Unfortunately, ever since posting, I cannot open,I have reported the problem to Fodors. My problem, there are three responses to my message, and I cannot access them. (I have another message on the board currently and have no problem accessing them, so I am familiar with the system.) If you read this, and you submitted a message about one day each in Lisbon and Vienna, please repost to this message. Sorry for the trouble. Thanks. D.

kaye Sep 10th, 1997 07:20 PM

I spent an entire - wonderful - day at the Shonebrunne Castle/zoo. I saw animals I'd never seen. I didn't get to see much of vienna that day but I did enjoy myself thouroughly. Loved the castle, loved the grounds, loved the zoo.

Chris McDonald Sep 11th, 1997 03:47 AM

Actually, Diane, two of those messages on the page you can't access are from me (they're the same message, but I got my e-mail address wrong on the first one, so I reposted it!). So here's more or less what I said in that one. I lived there for 9 months a couple of years ago, and basically, trying to do Vienna in one day is virtually asking the impossible! It is an absolutely stunning city, the nicest I've visited (and that includes Prague, Paris, Venice), and one day isn't really enough to do it all justice, though I'm sure you'll have a damn good go! I'd also recommend the Schonbrunn Palace and its grounds as a must-see - it's quite beautiful in nice weather - but you can get carried away there, and end up spending hours there! Other sights include the Prater, Vienna's funfair (U1 tube station Praterstern), which boasts the Ferris Wheel from the film "The Third Man"; 2 amazing classical museums opposite each other (art and natural history), with their gardens inbetween, and they are opposite to the Hofburg Imperial Palace and its grounds (which can lead into the city centre). These are on the Opernring, a ring road which encircles the centre. Also on the ring is the State Opera House (U1,2,4 tube stops Karlsplatz), which has a different show every night, sometimes with world stars (I saw Domingo and Carreras while I was over there). Seats are expensive, and usually need to be booked well in advance, but standing places are available for AS20-30 (1995 prices) if you're prepared to queue for a couple of hours. Eating out is generally quite expensive in the centre, but also generally of good quality.There is an nice little pizzeria called Ruffino's on Josefstadterstrasse alittle way out of the centre. Plus for a treat, there's Austria's famous Sachertorte in the Hotel Sacher (right by the Opera House), or in a up-market cafeteria called Demel on the Kohlmarkt in the centre, both of whom claim to have invented it. But be warned, that will be expensive!
Chris

Sally Sep 11th, 1997 10:47 AM

We had one day in Vienna on our Eastern Europe trip and this is what we did. We took a bus tour... We are experienced travelers and quite capable of doing it ourselves, but a tour often gets you in places more efficiently. The tour included inside Schoenbrun, but not much time for the gardens... WE drove around the entire "ring" and visited the upper Belvedere. We then went to the Kunsthistoriche on our own, which has a *fabulous* collection of European painting.Don't miss the Brueghels. Then we walked up Kartnerstrasse past all the fancy shops to St. Stephens. It is a rich city... no one day can even come close to scratching the surface! Hope you have a *great* time :)

Diane Sep 11th, 1997 05:43 PM

Kaye, Chris and Sally, thanks very much for the info, I'll do my best to do Vienna justice in the short time I have there! D.

Joćo Sep 11th, 1997 11:27 PM

Dear Diane,
...and the third message was from me... there it is a copy : "Sorry I can only help you on Lisbon : ONE DAY IS TOO SHORT! To have a taste of Lisbon hire a taxi (ask hotel about rates before) or take the old "San Francisco" looklike tramways. "Carris" - the
tramway company gives a map with tourist routees of Lisbon. Buy a one-day ticket or special ticket for that. Go and see the Jeronimos Monastery, go to the S. Jorge Castle for an panoramic view of the city centre, climb into Eiffel's Santa Justa Lift, shop in the Baixa and the new rebuilt Chiado. Have a drink in the Suica (Rossio) and a coffee in the Brasileira (rua Garrett). Go for gastronomic pleasure in one of the numerous taverns in Bairro Alto (Papacorda/Bota Alta/and many others) or for a
tipical "brasserie" try Trindade (rua da Trindade) or (even more portuguese) the Portugalia (avenida Almirante Reis). Have a nice time. You will regret to be so short..." I hope you get the message now. Joćo

Jonathan V. Ward Sep 12th, 1997 10:24 AM

I was in Lisbon for a few days with my girlfriend back in July and had a great time. I would recommend many things that the previous respondent said. The view from the Castle was incredible. We had fun just walking up through the neighborhoods to the Castle. They were full of nice little shops. Lots of character in this city and lots of interesting people. You can spend an entire day going to the Monastery, which is incredible and then to the Explorer's Monument (another incredible view), the Maritime Museum and the Belem Tower, which is currently undergoing renovation. If you have time, though, I would highly recommend going out by train to Sintra and the Royal Palaces and ruined Moorish Castle out there. Great, easy hiking and some of the best views I encountered in two years in Europe. Really breathtaking! Sintra is a pretty city. Good luck!