Vienna ; Inexpensive restaurants local cuisine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are shortly departing for a city break to Vienna (our first trip here) and were looking for a couple of inexpensive Austrian restaurant serving local cuisine (not Italian etc) that were somewhere near the second district. Can anyone give us any ideas please
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 11:13 AM

Lingering...welcome to Fodors. I can recommend the oldest inn in town, <b>The Griechenbeisl</b> (Greek Inn)for a taste and look of Old Vienna. Gathering place for notable artists, writers, composers and even Americans like Mark Twain..all leaving their signatures and comments in what has become Mark Twain Room. I've been there a few times in the 80's and 90's when it was whatever "reasonable" means to you. I don't recall the typical cost of lunch or dinner. I do remember that the floor boards still squeak!

It's located just a few blocks from St. Stephen's, on Fleischmarkt. I would guess that you will enjoy the ambience and food offerings.

Stu
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM

Since the 2nd District includes the Prater, you might be interested in the Schweizerhaus Bier Garden which is inside the Prater itself. We ate there last September and it was very good. Typical Austrian fare such as schnitzels, Schwein Stelze, etc.

While I have not eaten here myself, it got a good review on another website:

http://www.hansy-braeu.at/

Another restaurant you might want to check out:

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...nt-detail.html
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Restaurants come and go, so it may no longer be there, but 6 years ago we enjoyed the Centimeter, which was a little east of the Westbaunhof, if I recall correctly. We shared a one-meter-long sausage, which was excellent, and some wonderful conversation with a young attorney and wife, discussing EU law.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM

Griechenbeisl is in the First District - this not a short walk from your area of the 2nd district- This is a tourist central with higher than average prices and lacking good quality.

Centimeter has numerous locations throughout the city - moderate pricing but nothing near the 2nd district.

Hansy - a good choice on the circle/ square across from the Prater . will be on left side at the corner as you walk toward the entrance to the Prater area.

Vienna specialties - they brew their own beer and have some wine at prices less than 1,50 euro per 1/8 liter and quality is Ok.

Some renovation a short time ago but still retains local flavor - fair value for price.

Guest garden too in good weather and mostly non smoking.

Nearby to the Prater main entrace close to the Ferris Wheel is Eisvogel- higher prices but good food.

Schweizerhaus only open until end of October - most famous for Stelze/ pig knuckle and beer.

not cheap but a fine experience
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM

Just thinking more about this question.
An area unknown to many tourists and off the beaten track, yet very close to the Hotel mentioned and in the 2nd district is the Karmeliter Markt. This a short walk from the hotel mentioned. This is an older traditional food market area now filling with numerous small restaurant/ cafes - generally good prices and often with daily specials for less than 10 euro.

Some ideas

www.schoenerperle.at

madiani

www.madiani.com
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM

sorry

www.schoene-perle.at
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM

try http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ch-Vienna.html

although it is not inexpensive.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM

Agree with Hansy as a good choice. Another in the Inner Stadt is Gasthaus Poschl, Weihburggasse 17, Vienna 1010, great local food, make sure to reserve if its for dinner.
Molker: Thor sends his best. He was well received in Lech.