Notices

Vienna in Winter

Oct 21st, 2012, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Vienna in Winter

We are going to Vienna from November 30 to December 12, primarily to visit Christmas fairs (they are said to have one in every neighborhood) and enjoy the museums and music.

Most of the references I have found are for tourism in the summer, and many of those activities are not available in the winter. For example, we wanted to visit Melk, for the abbey, and take a scenic cruise along the Danube, but all the cruises I have found close for the winter. So we will go to Melk by train.

So what is there to do in Vienna during the winter, and which of the Christmas fairs are most interesting?
Oct 21st, 2012, 09:49 AM

Vienna was the capital of the Austro Hungarian Empire for hundreds of years - and has all of the sights you would expect.

Suggest you read a couple of guide books - the Michelin green guide is excellent - to see what you want to see.

To start:
The HOfburg (town palace)
Schoenbrun (country palace - easily reachable by subway)
Spanish Riding School performance
A plethora of wonderful museums
Oct 21st, 2012, 09:51 AM

Agreed, river cruises are not really an option in winter.
But, aside from that, what on earth exactly should there not be possible to see and do?

Museums (a ton!), the first/old town and Ringstrasse buildings, sightseeing of any possible thing from the Kapuzinergruft to Schönbrunn palace to the Hundertwasser House. The coffee houses.
A ride on the big ferris wheel.
Nights out in the famous wine locals (Heurigen), or at the Opera, or one of the hundreds other music events.

Coming back to the Christmas markets.. Personally I find the one at city hall (Rathaus), which is probably also the biggest and most-known and the one at Schönbrunn palace very nice.
Oct 21st, 2012, 10:46 AM

Vienna is beautiful at Christmas time. As the previous posters have listed, there is plenty to do. There are several markets within the city, I found most of them to be similar. Enjoy the museums, palace and the many cafes. There are also tons of concerts available(mostly classical that I found)if you like.

Search this Thread